Running cold problem

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys as most should know I put a turbo on my truck with r and d stage one injects and r and d injection pump. Problem is went out to start it today to take it down to are shop to get ready to lift it. It started up great and then I had to move it but it started cutting out and big clouds of black smoke then it started looping then started to cut out more. I was thinking something wrong with the injection pump?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it trying to rev up like surging or did it sound like it was loosing a cylinder or two? Any chuffing or abnormal sounds from the engine?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's air getting into the fuel. Your R&D IP is larger than stock, so if it starts losing RPM, the governor will open the throttle wide to try to get the RPMs back up, and that's way too much fuel.

On a stock IP, as "max fuel" is close to what the engine can handle with no boost, you won't see any smoke.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it trying to rev up like surging or did it sound like it was loosing a cylinder or two? Any chuffing or abnormal sounds from the engine?

It sounded like it was getting flooded. Then it would act like it was going to die then let clouds of black smoke out.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don’t have an air intrusion, I would look closely at the injection pump. I’ve heard of people having problems with those injectors as well.
You could try installing a new fuel filter filled with sea foam. If that doesn’t clear it up, I would plan on doing a return if it’s still under warranty.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don’t have an air intrusion, I would look closely at the injection pump. I’ve heard of people having problems with those injectors as well.
You could try installing a new fuel filter filled with sea foam. If that doesn’t clear it up, I would plan on doing a return if it’s still under warranty.

I'l try the fuel filter and see. I have been considering doing a moose pump since people seem to have good luck with those. But don't know what size to go with that would match the r and d pump

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd give Justin a chance to make things right. I know that he had issues on this forum way before my time on here, but he does have a good reputation for quality parts. Mel won't give you any credit for replacing Justin's parts with his except for a core charge. In my opinion, you've already spent the money once, why spend it again if you don't have to. I went with Mel for my pump and injectors so I don't have any experience with Justin, but Macrobb has a lot of good things to say about him.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A little too much, imo. Lol
But hey, that's why forums are great, everyone can have their own opinion. And here you don't get shunned for it, like you would on other forums.
I would talk with Justin first to see what he thinks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having recently replaced the same parts on my truck with Justin's stock offerings, I'll tell you about my experience.

At first I was spooked with the history lesson I got regarding Justin's reputation. But I have to say that's all history. Every issue I had (even at my own fault) Justin helped me fix at little to no cost to me. It's obvious he's very knowledgeable about his trade. I can't say he's the easiest person to get a hold of, but I'd purchase from him again.

When I changed my IP, I had to prime the (new) fuel filter with fresh diesel and additive to condition the rubber bits in the pump. This was a remedy to an idle issue I was having. You might try that first. I also had a bad time cranking the hell out of the motor to try and prime the system before I used the schrader valve on the fuel filter housing.

Edit: Missing information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd give Justin a chance to make things right. I know that he had issues on this forum way before my time on here, but he does have a good reputation for quality parts. Mel won't give you any credit for replacing Justin's parts with his except for a core charge. In my opinion, you've already spent the money once, why spend it again if you don't have to. I went with Mel for my pump and injectors so I don't have any experience with Justin, but Macrobb has a lot of good things to say about him.

I'l get in touch with him and see what he has to say.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no beef with Justin and his rep or with Mel’s prices but it comes down to quality for me, my R&D injectors nocked straight from the box and his IPs are very much remans while Mel’s are pretty much new. Mel replaces all his pump’s heads and rotors across the board no matter what they look like and you pay for it but it gives you a long lasting product. As far as I know Justin does not do that. Nothing wrong with that just a different practice that keeps costs lower.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my commercially used trucks,I count on the quality products found at Conestoga Diesel Injection.:peelout

Anyone seen Santa's little elves running around oilburners.net again this year? Keep your eyes open for the little buggers.:santa:

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no beef with Justin and his rep or with Mel’s prices but it comes down to quality for me, my R&D injectors nocked straight from the box and his IPs are very much remans while Mel’s are pretty much new. Mel replaces all his pump’s heads and rotors across the board no matter what they look like and you pay for it but it gives you a long lasting product. As far as I know Justin does not do that. Nothing wrong with that just a different practice that keeps costs lower.
If I'm not mistaken, a no start while hot is a head/rotor issue?

I know mine was replaced since the truck starts hot now but I didn't ask if it was standard. At times I did the "what if" I had went with a different vendor regarding longevity or price. By that time it was too late though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online