Roof rack options?

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to find roof racks for these trucks before a roadtrip to colorado and there isn't much info out there. Are there any Thule kits that fit? or anything for the rain gutters?

thanks

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything a few years back either. Ended up going with a Thule on my leer camper top. It's been 3 years and some rough trails and it still works well, not cracks.

You must be registered for see images attach

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to use a Thule set that mounts to the rain gutters and a add on rail for the canopy. Hauled a canoe for camping trips.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You can get rain gutter mounts for racks. Usually they are used on vans, but I don't see why they wouldn't work on pickup cabs.

gandalf

Reaction score
My BIL has a (shutter shutter) Chevy crewcab which he uses, or used until a couple years ago, to haul a large 5th wheel trailer. They traveled 6 months every year. He has, or had, two aerodynamic enclosed ski carriers on top of the crew cab the last time I saw it. I've found a picture of the truck with just a single, but that should give an idea. He did not, BTW, carry skis up there. It was just additional storage.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I Or get something like is on Towcat's (now IDIOIT's) truck, a bed mounted headache rack that extended out over the cab.

^ That gets my vote.

A flimsy basket clamped to the roof... will end up with a 35" spare in it, or get 16-20' lumber strapped to it. LOL I see that being a bad idea.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything a few years back either. Ended up going with a Thule on my leer camper top. It's been 3 years and some rough trails and it still works well, not cracks.

Hey! I've been there before myself.

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google "Surco GM100 Gutter Mount Adapter"
They are the brackets.. you can attach cross members of your choosing..

Fastens to any vehicle with rain gutters
Durable black powder coat finish
Crossbars not included

• GM100 - Gutter Mount Adapter - 5 ½"
  • GM200 - Gutter Mount Adapter - 8"
  • DGM100 - Gutter Mount Adapter - 12"

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how I made a rack for a roof gutter on a trooper. I would do exactly the same if I made one for my truck cab.

It is very simple. Two pieces of flat stock, and one L shaped bolt.

The crossbar is a piece of unistrut.

Cut one rectangular piece out of the flat stock. Cut a notch in the top to accept the unistrut laying in it.

Cut the other piece of flat stock in a flattened triangle.

The flat at the top, has to be wider than the unistrut.

Fold the bottom of that piece so it is shaped like an L.

I made the L shaped bolt by buying some u-bolts that were big enough. Then cutting them so I had two L shaped bolts.

Weld the L bolt to the L-shaped flat stock.

Now you can merely sit the bigger piece in the gutter.

Lay the unistrut in the notch.

Insert the top of the bolt through the unistrut. Put on a nut. And tighten until the "L" is pulled up underneath the gutter. (I put a piece of rubber hose over the top of the bolt, where it reached higher than the sides of the unistrut. This keeps people from cutting themselves on the threads when they are messing around tieing things down.)

You will notice there is a gap between the two pieces of flat stock, where they both meet the unistrut. This is intentional. It puts some racking strength into the connection, so the unistrut doesn't just flop from one side of the truck to the other, and loosen up.

Bonus to using unistrut is that they have all kinds of cool gadgets to connect things to the unistrut with. And even if you don't use the gadgets, the unistrut is incredibly strong, and has holes all along it's length that you can tie or hook through.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeballing some tripod designs for our crewcab that would allow carrying one or two canoes above the cab while towing a 5th wheel camper. Look to be an easy welding project. Two legs incorporated into a headache rack and the third leg connects to a front mount trailer hitch. If you're hauling a substantial load, this places load points on better structural areas than the roof and zero risk to paint job.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here a bracket for a cross bar type rack on a van I saw today at a light.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WeatherGuard or Adrian prices new are high for the non-tradesman I agree, but the facebook market place is swamped with van ladder racks, at least down around Houston, $50-500+. Lots of options in the $150 and less range.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called 4wd.com in Fla. they helped me cobble together a system to fit my obs crew cab since I couldn't find anything listed for my truck either
I ended up going with a rack for a newer ford, they wanted to sell me mounts that drill and bolt through the roof.
I insisted on gutter mounts since I had an older truck. he found universal cherokee mounts for me.

https://www.4wd.com/p/smittybilt-defender-rack-welded-one-piece-roof-rack-35504/_/R-DSBP-35504
https://www.4wd.com/p/smittybilt-he...-defender-rack-roof-rack-hds-6/_/R-DSBP-HDS-6

it was almost bolt on, the basket was a little narrow to reach the mounts, I used a few peices of one inch unistrut to make it work

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superst...Galvanized-Strut-Channel-ZB14HS10EG/202714280

I installed the gutter mounts and ran the unistrut from one side to the other, forming a home made ladder rack, then bolted the basket to that.
the finished product looks factory

it wasn't the cheapest way to go but I'm very happy with it. I wanted a quality, one piece rack as large as I could fit on my roof, I didn't want it to sit too high and I did not want bolt together walmart junk

if you just want a cheap rack find used ladder racks or thule bars on C-list and slap on a walmart basket

https://ibb.co/fkw3Yc9

https://ibb.co/dBCRp9W

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited: