Reuse of Intake/Valley Gasket??

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
OK, I know "They" say it cannot be reused.
But I am cheap--as long as it doesn't impact on reliability.

Has anyone sucessfully reused the intake gasket with no ill effects?

Or, will someone confess to reusing it with bad consequences?

Or are we all mere lapdogs to whatever "They" say?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I redid my engine after 10k due to a collapsed piston I reused the valley pan, the sealing area was perfect and I put some aviation permatex, the brush on kind, on both sides and it holds 13lbs of boost.
Yes it is a one time gasket but for 50 bucks on a budget I would reuse it if the seal area is good.

Big block chryslers had an all metal one and they get reused all the time.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I can't really recommend it because it depends upon the shape of the gasket when you take it off but if it leaks then your gonna have to yank it back off

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I can't really recommend it because it depends upon the shape of the gasket when you take it off but if it leaks then your gonna have to yank it back off

WAIT!

Aren't you the guy who just posted above that you reused one?

Make up your miond.

Thanks for the input; keep it coming.

Didn't someone replace ALL the gaskets except for the Head gasket with RTV, and it worked as advertised?
Isn't this what they make RTV for?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well I got interrupted by work when making that post earlier and I wanted to throw my disclaimer in there...

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seating surface and bolt tension is key. Also if you looked at it microscopically it would make you never reuse them.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course if it leaks what is the worst possible outcome...worst case you have to do it again, it doesn't run quite right. If you have a turbo, your boost isn't what it should be...its not like a gasser where your air/fuel ratio is important. I'm speaking ignorance here...what IS the worst case outcome if the intake gasket fails on a 6.9/7.3??

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
DieselJD,
My thoughts exactly. It does not seal water, or mixed air/fuel. It does seal oil, of a sort--It keeps debris from the valley, but its not like the oil is under pressure in the intake sealing area.

Call me a rebel, but just because "they" say it, isn't good enough.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Personally, if it is in good shape, I would think it would be fine. Of course, in my case, I would most likely looked at what was above it. If I were turbo, no way I would re-use for the simple fact I wouldn't want to take all that back off. In my case, where I am non-turbo, I would be a little more willing to chance it, not to mention, my intake never sees positive pressure, where a turbo unit does, so that just supports the "reason" as well I guess.

I also have a different attitude about things in the labor sense of the word, as my time IS worth something to me, which would probably outweigh the savings of a new gasket, I don't like to do things twice! :)

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I was gonna reuse one once, had it off 2 weeks apart, looked a little bent, and I thought about it, then decided $50 wasnt worht taking it off again.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DieselJD,
My thoughts exactly. It does not seal water, or mixed air/fuel. It does seal oil, of a sort--It keeps debris from the valley, but its not like the oil is under pressure in the intake sealing area.

Call me a rebel, but just because "they" say it, isn't good enough.

Of course if it leaks what is the worst possible outcome...worst case you have to do it again, it doesn't run quite right. If you have a turbo, your boost isn't what it should be...its not like a gasser where your air/fuel ratio is important. I'm speaking ignorance here...what IS the worst case outcome if the intake gasket fails on a 6.9/7.3??

Woah there cowboy!!

These days I'm mostly lurking here, but only jump in when I feel it's really important. This is one of those days.

You're wrong.

Firstly, the intake gasket(valley pan) is only meant to be used once. It is a compression gasket much like the head gasket and once compressed, is ruined.

Secondly and more importantly, it does seal against coolant/oil. In between each intake port, there is a 1/2" hole in the head which is continuous with the coolant passages in the head(originally part of the casting process). The valley pan seals this area off. If there is the slightest leak, then coolant will drain down into the valley and be in the oil, and I don't need to talk about what happens when you get coolant in the oil. On the later 7.3 heads. some of these passages were blocked with plugs, but I understand they weren't reliable, and it is still recommended that the valley pan be re-used.

lastly, it does also seal around the intake ports, and if your engine can pull air via leaks here, this would be unfiltered air, and especially if you have a turbo, then you would have boost air leaks to the cylinders. The result of this could be boost in several cylinders, but maybe not in others where there is a leak, and thus those cylinders would be running much hotter than the rest(less air going in) and since you only monitor average boost(at the intake hat), and average exhaust gas temp(at the outlet pipe), you'd never know that those particular cylinders were overheating.

It is only my opinion, but I say this is a very important gasket. I cannot see how you can remove one, and not do damage. Once is has been torqued and compressed, it should be thrown away, and use a new one.

The consequences are not worth the $50.

Zigg :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a new one.....and take the time saved not doing it 2x and enjoy a cool beverage and a good nights sleep....BTW...Whats a good nights sleep worth to ya?