Return line rail

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what's leaking - if it's rubber line getting hard or the caps themselves, then yes, but I think most leaks are the o-rings which would be just as likely. It also sounds like maybe you have bad luck with them? I've ever had an issue in ~15 years of driving an idi. Admittedly that with new return lines done, but my take away is they're much less of a problem than they're made out to be as long as you have relatively new and good condition lines.
I've had good luck with my return lines, I've had my truck for almost 4 years and the only time I've ever touched the returns was when the IP and injectors were replaced. I've just read too many horror stories, so I go out of my way to make sure I never accidentally touch the returns.

I'm trying to think of more perks of return rails vs the caps (besides the pimp factor, I say its a perfectly valid excuse but my wallet says nay). Doing the return lines the regular way isnt THAT bad, but you have to cut all the hose sections to size (and it's never right the first time), and make sure you don't mix up the caps. With rails, you just pop them off, replace the O-rings, pop the rails back on, done.

I'm trying REAL hard to justify being the guinea pig for these, I like shiny things :D

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I suspect most of the horror stories are from folks either dealing with 30 year old parts, trying to reuse old stuff instead of new or screwing it up/damaging things doing other work. It's a fairly robust system IMHO as long as it's treated with some respect.

I suspect putting the rails on would be a pain in the rear since you're having to slide over all 4 injectors at the same time and can't twist it like you could with the individual caps. Given how frequently you're likely to need to replace the return lines I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just my $0.02 though.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have been after Justin for a set...these are pimp fine..bit it removes several leak points.

I was servicing a VAN here n bumped the return line whilst replacing fuel filter causing me untold horrors of broken return nipple....pos old brittle caps.

Thus no hose n clamp to leak between caps..thats 12 points of leak potential gone...GONE!!!!

NO MORE slight bump n broken nipple....no issues there.

Me I say *** to the naysayers.....I probably spent more n the pricy set on beer over last couple mo...

Thus I will be trying a set lest I get 7/8" brass hex stock and a lathe sometime soon to build me own brass caps!

The thought of bling...well ok got me going a weee bit.

Ya He was...WAS an ass here for a time...he has grown up some....and I am willing to spend my hard earned $ on HIS products regardless of what he said.....

Time to suck it up....

Sticks n stones may break my bones...but internet name calling does sfa to me or anyone else ...lest yer of weak mind!

JM7.3CW Eh!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me I say *** to the naysayers.....I probably spent more n the pricy set on beer over last couple mo...
!

*** seems a bit strong to me. If that want to spend your beer money on fancy bits that may or may not work than it's not skin off my back, and I'm not trying to insult on demean either Justin or anyone who buys the rails. That being said, it seems like a poor investment to me. May not be a huge amount of cash, but still IMHO it's a significant amount to put into something that doesn't do anything other than look different. To each their own though...

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant wait to get a set. I think if nothing else it makes it alot easier in my opinion to do return lines because depending on what kit you buy the only thing you would need to buy would be viton orings. But beyond that Justin is going above and beyond to find new and cool ideas for the idi market. I think it is absolutely awesome! I think the cool factor of them is definitely viable. Also it is a possibility to cut them up if you please for ease. But I also have installed numerous return line kits and i think it is going to be a great improvement. He tested them out on his bronco and had great success with them them. He provides great service and has always been great to me. I know he may have been rowdy before but I know he has great products. I was not around for whatever happened so I have no grudge.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
A few guys on the IDI Owners FB page have ordered them. By the time I could even justify a set, others will have plenty of time to test them out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody actually did make them. A machinist here, made a set for himself. I don't remember hearing how they held up however. I've looked into making injectors with a totally different body that would utilize more traditional banjo bolt fittings. The problem becomes one of cost. My injectors are expensive enough, and the additional work would push the price up too high. All these ideas sound great, until someone starts to compare the emotional benefit against the cost benefit. Emotionally, we think... yeah yeah that's exciting, what a great idea. Then as soon as you ask someone to get there wallet out, that excitement belongs to someone else. I commend IDI Performance for trying.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what do you consider a reasonable price? Might be an interesting machining project to try. Wouldn't be billet though, I'd probably either do steel or brass and have the hose nipples be separate pieces brazed or soldered onto the main body.

I also have considered a metal-to-metal connection at the injector, but so far am looking another direction.

I have two issues with the fuel return system. One is trying to get O rings that actually fit. Many are just enough too small that they do not apply enough pressure to consistently not leak. And aren't the two supposed to be different sizes? Once, on the road, I wrapped Teflon tape around a new O ring to stop a leak.

My other issue is that each cap must deal with not only the fuel from it's injector but all the up stream injectors. So far I have only had down stream caps leak. If I can ever get it to the top of the list, I am going to make a half inch rail that is hose connected separately to each cap.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just ordered a set of these lastnight.
I know im begging for issues where I plan to run these, but im gonna try it!
this project will sit for most of its life, so its a perfect candidate for longevity.
165 without fittings.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've changed the return lines on my F250 once in the last 10 years and that was only because I swapped in a new IP and injectors. Wouldn't make since for me (regardless of who sold them). In my experience, not necessary.

Heath

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've changed the return lines on my F250 once in the last 10 years and that was only because I swapped in a new IP and injectors. Wouldn't make since for me (regardless of who sold them). In my experience, not necessary.

Heath
I tend to lean on the side of completely unnecessary,
I like having cool stuff on my functional rides.

but then again 90% of the IDI population only do what they need to get by,
I like to raise the bar :D

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the return lines topic, 7 years ago or so I made myself a set while I was in machining school. Just made some aluminum cylinders with a hole bored out and a lip on top, and then drilled and tapped 1/16" NPT threads for little hose barbs.
The machining part worked, but I had trouble keeping burrs from nicking the O-rings.
Also still had trouble with sealing, despite using a tighter tolerance etc.

After I figured out that wheel bearing grease solves the leaking problem, I haven't worried about those caps or any others since. I just grab any old set of plastic caps(stock ones are getting brittle), and install them with a liberal helping of high-temp lithium grease.
It's almost a miracle when it comes to O-ring sealing. I've had no more issues since, even with disturbing the caps. I've done the procedure on 4 trucks so far, and had no issues with it.
Oh, and multiple times more recently, I've simply re-used the O-rings when moving an injector around(not removing the O-rings from the injector, mind)... still haven't had leaks from that. I'm still trying to figure out what the actual leak limit is on O-rings with the wheel bearing grease trick.

Last time I had a leak on one after doing the caps, I pulled the cap to find... a pine needle! Just pulled the needle out, cleaned and re-greased the cap, and reinstalled. Done deal.
And that last truck, the 93 in my avatar... I just grabbed the absolute cheapest kit I could find on ebay. Still worked just fine; no issues with fit or finish, and no leaks(once I got the pine needle out).

As such, while I think metal return caps are cool... I personally don't think it matters anymore. A good set of hose should last 10+ years easily, and you'll probably need to replace the injectors themselves in that time. And at $25-35 for an entire return kit, well, the costs don't make a whole lot of sense.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got these installed today,
and I must say they went on pretty easily.
a liberal amount of grease, and they fit like a glove.
hopefully by the end of the week, I can start using them.

You must be registered for see images attach