Return line rail

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't know it was for sale yet, but I will be ordering one shortly...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not yet. He had 5 sets made. Then I think is doing a pre-order.

On the other hand, many here still won't support him, nor his products. So you may not find a lot here. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about these.
talking with another member on here, we feel that expansion of cast vs expansion of aluminum will play a vital part.
I hope im wrong.
once someone buys it and confirms 6 months of leak free use, I will buy a set.

as far as not supporting him, its not his products, its his attitude.
but it seems that as of late, he has simmered down and raised the bar on his customer service.

buy it! I will be watching!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh for sure. Personally I wasn't around when it happened. So I don't really have a dog in the fight.
I've never seen him bash anyone else's work. But his fanboys sure do, which does get on my nerves.

Not only the expansion bit, but the injectors don't always sit in the head the exact same. So I could see issues there. We'll see.
It's been talked about here before. Just never went anywhere.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As for not expanding with the heads I don't feel that is an issue. As far as not supporting him or his products... Well I'm not going to comment on that because there is no purpose in it.
The injectors all sit in the heads the same depth from all my measurements taken. After actually seeing one of these I may be a buyer too. Just not going to be the first.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I just don't think the o-rings are going to be able to cope with the expansion/contraction combined with the small variations of the spacing between the injectors in the heads. But, what the heck do I know - maybe it will work great and I hope it does. I will remain a skeptic until a few others have tried 'em and had leak free performance. The cost is okay if the rails absolutely seal over the long term, but these are darned expensive if you have to go in and change o-rings every month due to leaks.
:popcorn

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that he built a set of these a while back last year and was running them on one of the trucks. Hopefully this means that set tested out well and now production has started.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think proof will be in the pudding. That's a lot of distance to have tolerances stack up on you. I'm with you. Would those not be slick in chrome?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think proof will be in the pudding. That's a lot of distance to have tolerances stack up on you. I'm with you. Would those not be slick in chrome?

id prefer them anodized blue!
they are Aluminum.
165 for just the rails, I may bite.....

he says in stock.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with discussion of issues with tolerances. Not only does the horizontal spacing between injectors have to be exact, but lateral position, angle and height also all have to match. I would expect there is some degree of variation between injectors and between engines/head casting, especially over a length production run.

The expansion difference is probably not enough to cause an issue. The difference in expansion coeeficents between al alloy & cast iron is about 6 micro inch/in *f... this means a total difference in length change between the rail and head of about 0.00015" per *f of heating.... so for a 100* temperature increase you'd expect to see the rail expand about 0.015" more than the head. Whether this is enough to cause issues is hard to say. However, the return rail is probably going to be somewhat cooler than the head since it's got a lot of area to lose heat to air flow and relatively little heat flux in from the fuel so the difference may actually be less. One could also engineer in this expansion when designing the rail and spec the injector spacing to have the holes centered at operating temperature. That being said, the o-rings are likely flexible enough to handle the variation. It is possible that the repeated compression/release cycles could effect the long term life of the o-rings though. In any case, I expect that variation from manufacturing tolerances would have more impact than the differential expansion.

A more compelling concern to me though is that this doesn't do anything for the primary issue. Generally, the cause of the leaks is old stiff O-rings. This will continue to be a problem regardless of if it's a plastic fitting or metal. If anything I think the rigidity of the metal rail and expansion issues would put more stress on the o-rings and make them more likely to leak. I would also question the surface finish of the o-ring seat in the rail. If this surface is rough, which is may be depending on how it is machined, then I would expect this to also potentially cause shortened o-ring life.

IMHO, the only issue with the plastic return line fittings is damage from external issue - ie you break them working on something else. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's much issues with them spontaneously breaking. Likewise the rubber return lines have a reasonable life expectancy. Yes, it's not infinite, but they last pretty well. Easy and cheap enough to fix as well. Beyond that, you still have the rubber hose to fuel filter, injection pump, and back to the tank to potentially leak.

IMHO, not worth the cost.

/tangent
I also hate the use of the word billet.... that's the most overused marketing term ever. And highly misused.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He just posted on Facebook saying he updated the site to add some other options. Looks like hose options.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool idea, but I gotta admit that I like the billet return line caps a lot more.
If I had to choose, it would be the billet caps but that's like hitting the lottery. Nobody makes them....or at least for a reasonable price.
If you have a typ4 or Conestoga return line kit, it should last you many trouble free years without any problems. I think the key here is to use viton o rings.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool idea, but I gotta admit that I like the billet return line caps a lot more.
If I had to choose, it would be the billet caps but that's like hitting the lottery. Nobody makes them....or at least for a reasonable price.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider a reasonable price? Might be an interesting machining project to try. Wouldn't be billet though, I'd probably either do steel or brass and have the hose nipples be separate pieces brazed or soldered onto the main body.