Return Line Question

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a quick question I have been sayign I am going to replace the return lines, the reason is because there is air getting in the fuel filter and therefore not letting the engine run, the hoses I have on there now have been on there for lord knows how long, but I think they are going bad because they are hard and when you flex the hose you can see little dry rot cracks in them, would it be a good idea to replace them?

WARNING! The Following Pictures you are about to see contain serious DRY ROT and greese inexpereanced users should not look with out the presence of a Mechanic or other Authorized Personelle!!!

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Last edited:

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes napa and oreilly's sell the kits for around 50 to 100 bucks(its been a while) It should take a couple hours to replace.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got someone who is giving me the hose all I have to do is bring in the old line and have them measure it, but are you suggesting that I replace them after seeing the pictures?

Last edited:

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. Get the kit. You'll have some extra parts, but you'll have "everything". Part of the return line system is those plastic things (lacking the proper term). And when you are removing the old lines, you *might* break one. Also (unless you have looked and there are none), fuel might be seeping from the return line system also (or the plastic pieces). Last thing you want to do is change the hoses and still have the problem... due to a leak in the plastic.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Go with the kit. You'll get the new "caps", o-rings, hose, and clamps. The kit might also have the brass washers that go under the injectors, but you don't have to change those out. The o-rings, and caps are known for "seeping" fuel out and air into the lines. That's what I've been fighting with.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Typ4 (Rus) has the best deal on a return line kit. Don't replace half of the kit. You will have some leaks if not all the o-rings and caps aren't replaced at the same time...

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy who I buy my hoses from also sells, belts, o-rings, so if I can get the size for the o-rings all I have to do is stop at burchett ford and get the caps, the reason why I won't buy the kit is because I can get the hose o-rings and clamps for free, so all I need is the t-posts (i think thats what they are called)..... and again does anyone know what size orings i need? there was none on there?

thanks

juggernaut239

Reaction score
Bet Your gonna find out that Ford is gonna charge you more for just the caps than the whole 35 bucks for the kit. I wouldn't think that anything from the dealer is gonna be cheap. I just replaced my set and I would not be able to start my truck at all if I let it sit overnight without spray. Now it starts on the second crank(still have no glow plugs and possible to need to tighten or bleed air still) but now I don't need to spray and I just let it sit for three days and started up this afternoon.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
free isn't always. Last caps I got from ford or IH were about 7 bucks each. And they never stock them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The return lines will address any hard starting issues you have that are caused by air, but it will NOT address any issues your having with how your truck runs the rest of the time. If it runs like crap when it is warmed up, and misses, and carries on, then return lines are not your problem.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is tho is that there is air getting in the lines.... and I thought maybe it would be coming from the old returns

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope... although your already committed to replacing them anyway, which is a good idea. Your air intrusion will be coming from some place before your fuel pump, or the fuel pump itself.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the o-rings are under the caps on the injectors themselves. you have to take the injector line off the injector and pull the plastic cap off to get to the o-rings. make sure you lube them when putting them back together so you dont accidently put a little slice in one and ruin all your hard work.

according to the information in the parts bin when you look up the PN on mcmastercarrs website the o-rings are

AS568A Dash Number

Type
O-Ring

O-Ring Type
Standard

Cross Section Shape
Round

Width
3/32"

Actual Width
.103"

Inside Diameter