Replacing governor spring... How?

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me on how to replace the max rpm spring in the pump. I'm going with an IH 2700 rpm limiter spring. What I can get from searching forums, and a beat up manual I have is, take the governor cover off, there's two springs that are obvious. The longer one is the max spring. There's a guide that one must count the turns while removing, as it needs to be set to that exact spot after spring install.

The alternative would be if someone has a reliable IH pump they want to depart with for $200 or less.

2700 rpms with 3.31 gears is 70.1 mph, that's plenty of speed for that big crew cab

T.I.A. folks

Last edited:

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I've still got my old pump.... It seemed to run fine, i changed it to help my hard start problem, but it was the injectors.

PM me an offer if you want it... :)

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Looks like Uhaul has several of the 170 hp IH pumps for sale for $270. Guess if they have the 2700 rpm spring, I'll go that route.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I think mine would turn 3300 rpm. Its a DB2 from a pickup...Here's a picture of the build plate.

I know thats not really 46xx rpm rating, but i dont know what that means...Cant seem to find anything about it though...

I got the *** turn on now.... i didnt know i had to...

Attachments

• IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 13

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Well....here comes mister obvious.....:angel:

Nope, didnt think of that... :D

That would be a good temporary solution.... if theres enough adjustment in the screw...

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Well, I bought a low-rpm IH pump from Uhaul today. When I get it installed and some time behind the wheel, I'll post the pros and cons of the setup.