Replaced IPR now has a long crank

IdahoHillbilly

Reaction score
Hi all, been looking at this truck for a while now. It is a 1994.5 and has been having random stall/no restart problems. Sometimes it would die and immediately restart, other times it would take a while and then restart (10 minutes or so). I did finally get it to give me a p0340 for the CPS. I replaced that and it was OK for a week or two and then died again. This time it had a p1212 and the p0340 in it. I tried swapping the CPS from my personal truck and still wouldn't start (would not start with ICP unplugged either). After sitting about 10 minutes, it started again. Figured I'd shotgun an IPR at it just because and now I'm getting a long crank... I figured it was air at first but I've driven it quite a bit today and its still cranking about 5-6 seconds. Any thoughts?

On a side note, i believe this truck is suppose to have an IPR with the "edge filter". I could not find one locally so I installed one without. I'm not sure what the function of that filter is... could that be my problem?

Thanks

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would replace Injector orings.
Switch back to the other IPR. And do not, I REPEAT DO NOT GET A OFF BRAND ONE.
As a quick thing, try unplugging the icp sensor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IdahoHillbilly

Reaction score
I would replace Injector orings.
Switch back to the other IPR. And do not, I REPEAT DO NOT GET A OFF BRAND ONE.
As a quick thing, try unplugging the icp sensor.

I'm not sure why you would jump to orings so fast on this one?! I did go cheap (actually fast because we don't have a Ford dealer that I can get parts same day) and buy the IPR from CQ. I am concerned that is the cause of the long crank. It did not have that before. It would either start or not start and has been (up until this point) consistantly putting out the P0340 code. This is the first time for the P1212. I don't believe I have an injector oring problem, at least not from what I've seen so far. Since I cannot read PID data on this vehicle, I cannot get the ICP reading while cranking... I may end up having to guy a set of gauges. :(

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was leaning more towards IPR than Injector orings. Normally the orings will cause a hot start problem. But weirder things have happened.
P1212 could be anything. Injector orings, failing IPR, bad icp sensor, weak hpop, oil galley plugs, etc.

Try unplugging the icp sensor. See what that does.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you keep getting the CPS code P0340, go to NAPA and get only the Echlin CPS, lots of guys have had really good luck with them.

What weight oil are you using? When was the last oil change, how many miles on it now?

The PSD is real fussy about oil. Since your in a cold climate and it's winter, a 5w or 10W 40 would be good, full synthetic or a blend is a plus.

IdahoHillbilly

Reaction score
As an update, there have been no more issues that I'm aware of now that I've replaced the IPR. I'm not sure why the P0340 kept coming up, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything for now. They tell the me long crank has gotten better. Hopefully that is the case.