Removing Ats turbo from 6.9

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the intake hat off, which was one bolt and a hose clamp. Then I loosened up the down pipe clamp and slid it off. Unbolted the oil line and pushed it out of the way. Then removed the four bolts holding my turbo to the up pipe (those were tough). Without looking at it, I think it was that simple. I pulled the turbo off as an assembly, lifting the oil drain straight up with it out of the valley pan. Obviously some finagling was required as I pulled it out, but very minor stuff.

My kit is banks though. I have zero experience with the ats kit, just sharing what I had to do in case it helps. I bolted mine back on the same way I took it out, and it took multiple tries to get that oil tube in the right spot without pushing the rubber grommet out of place.

I'm a big fan of pb blaster a couple days in advance. But I also HATE rust (like everyone here) and am lucky enough to live in a lower rust area and have vehicles that are relatively rust free. Living a mile from the ocean this last year has taken a noticeable effect on my vehicles; moving to a place more inland with a garage (not to get away from rust, but to get away from renting).

Now now kids, play nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Oh yea and stuff does rust in texas so letting bolts soak in PB Blaster. So what may take you a day to remove takes me a lot longer.

the texas guy preaching rusty bolts to the Ohio guy hahaha thats riiiiiiiich

never asked for anyone to remove a Turbo from there truck I just Asked some questions for the members that have done this before.

No need to Get ButtHurt.

But you did ask them to "do it for you". Your asking for the size of the bolt that holds the return line on, what is stopping you from figuring this out?

Without someone going to there truck and figuring this out for you, what more advise do you want than to stick ALL torqs sizes in it untill you find one that fits?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont even acknowledge him

i friggen hate torx heads....
time to go to the auto store and pick some up...

pick up a complete set for 3/8 drive...
ill stop hounding you on becoming a supporting member...
SIKE! :rotflmao

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
dont even acknowledge him

i friggen hate torx heads....
time to go to the auto store and pick some up...

pick up a complete set for 3/8 drive...
ill stop hounding you on becoming a supporting member...
SIKE! :rotflmao

Hahaha it doesn't bother me any I didn't even know we had that option until you started talking about it Thanks for bringing it to our attention. ;Sweet

Yep me to on the torx heads

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK.... Other have said it..... now I will say it. Back on topic before it gets any deeper. I WILL be watching this one.......

NO ONE NEEDS A VACATION OVER A STUPID BOLT!!!

There, back to your regularly scheduled program......

Ok, so they are Torx..... do you have a set of bits? I got my various sets Autozone and Horrible Freight..... I have little to big, even have a few of the "Tamper proof" bits......

At least there not a "Triple Square" like my VW does to hold the half-shaft on.......

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

$14 dollar bit to take out and replace 6 F-IN bolts.............

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Thanks I was waiting for a Mod to Chime in.

Yes I have some Torx Bits haven't really messed with it letting PB Blaster do it's magic.
going to pick up some Gear wrenches tomorrow should make separating the turbo pedestal a lot easier.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope... the Germans seem to love those DAMN things. I've heard of Mercedes, VW/Audi and Porsche using them.

I even found when I was looking for a bit (yes I only bought the ONE that I needed, a set like I posted above is $60+) that Toyota/Scion/Lexus are using these XZN/Triple Square fasteners for HEAD BOLTS!!!!!!

What was wrong with a good old Allen Head Cap Screw?!?!?!?!?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope... the Germans seem to love those DAMN things. I've heard of Mercedes, VW/Audi and Porsche using them.

I even found when I was looking for a bit (yes I only bought the ONE that I needed, a set like I posted above is $60+) that Toyota/Scion/Lexus are using these XZN/Triple Square fasteners for HEAD BOLTS!!!!!!

What was wrong with a good old Allen Head Cap Screw?!?!?!?!?

i really hope you took a trip to the hardware store on this one.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I didn't. I figured after spending money on the bit, I should at least get my moneys worth.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent