Remove underhood liner - will it be much noisy-er in cab?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
My under hood liner has seen better days - it's sagging and such. I'm thinking about tearing it out and putting up some peel and seal or something. Until I get other insulation under there will the engine noise increase in the cab? I would think maybe outside the truck, not inside -right?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Took it out this afternoon and the sound is a bit tinnier that's the only difference I've noticed. It was in such bad shape it was obstructing airflow.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Regardless of what you replace it with, a sheet of hood foam or aluminum sound deadening sheets it provides three functions. 1) Keeps heat in engine bay (great for WVO & WMO) 2) Keeps hood paint from blistering ( not a problem with your truck :D ) and quiets the engine noise. I just got a new hood foam pad for my Mercedes this week. Old one was foam and would crumble to dust. It only covered 6% of the hood. Scraped the hood with a plastic scraper, lightly sanded then got 3M brand p/n 8090 Super Adhesive for hood insulation and auto trim. EXCELLENT PRODUCT :hail as well as the hood insulation.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow - where'd you get your hood pad for the MB?

and - does anyone know where to get one for OBS PSD trucks?

I have never had one and I would like to do anything that can make the truck quieter.... I have used the foil faced black rubber type self adhesive stuff inside boat engine covers with good results - but i'm not sure how it would last on a truck hood with all the heat and vibration....