Red gear oil?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a gear oil out there that is red....or did the previous owner put ATF in the differential?

Thanks----------Robert

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Red Line made some red gear oils as well as Lucas. Should be easy to tell the difference just from consistency though.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I know lucas makes their trans oil (very thick) red but last time I used their gear oil it was regular amber color. Maybe the PO used some of it on the differential as an additive.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The Synthetic 75w90 we have at work looks red, or orange, depending on the light.

LittleBlue

Reaction score
Color, smell and consistency may help identify, at least the majority of the make up. What’s it smell like? Is it clear red or dirty red? How thick is it and temp? Maybe it’s not worth worrying about. When in doubt change it out or was that whip it out. :rotflmao .

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Color, smell and consistency may help identify, at least the majority of the make up. What’s it smell like? Is it clear red or dirty red? How thick is it and temp? Maybe it’s not worth worrying about. When in doubt change it out or was that whip it out. :rotflmao .

It looked and felt more like atf, but could have been a light synthetic oil. Definitely not a petroleum gear oil. I guess I need to crawl under and give it the sniff test.

Since there's gear oil in the tranny, I'm of the mind that someone read the specs backwards and put gear oil in the tranny and atf in the rear instead of the other way around.

--------Robert

LittleBlue

Reaction score
Hi RLDSL,

I remember when I purchased a 1/2 ton gas job w/4 speed. Check the fluid levels and all seem ok, gear oil in both. Checked the manual and it called for ATF in the trans and gear oil in the diff. So drained both and put ATF in the trans and gear oil in the diff. Dam did that trans leak, guess that’s why they put gear oil in it. I drained the trans out and put gear oil in it, little over 740,000 on the trans now no problems, did replace the motor once. I don't do much north driving so temps didn't make shafting a problem. I remember back in the old days we used to run 30wt motor oil in all the 13 speed and diff on the Mack 18 yard dumps we had. I guess they leaked so dam bad it was cheaper then fixing and running gear oil. So if you do drain the transmission and put ATF in and it leaks you'll know why the gear oil was in it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hi RLDSL,
So if you do drain the transmission and put ATF in and it leaks you'll know why the gear oil was in it.

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been concerned about. I went ahead and ordered a jug of Auto RX and am going to run a bit of that stuff in the tranny and rear end for a while to revive the seals a bit before changing out the fluids.
If I had any sense at all, I would have put a new input shaft seal in the tranny while I had the engine out, but there were no signs of leakage.

--------Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle