Recommendation for refurbished EEC

dan-o

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a refurbished EEC for my 1989 7.3 IDI with E4OD?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure where to get one.. but to help in you search Ford called this a TECA - Transmission Electronic Control Assembly…. It just uses an OBD1 or Ford EEC-IV reader.

dan-o

Reaction score
Thanks! I pulled to old one out and got the part number off of it. I found one on Ebay. I bought the extra warranty in case it's junk, but the seller seemed to be in business for a while.
My wife located a place called Transmission exchange in Portland. I had already ordered the Ebay one, though.
I'll let you all know how it works out.
I sure would like to get "Black Betty" to be more dependable......that :music:..*****.

dan-o

Reaction score
SUCCESS!!! I got the new (rebuilt) TECA installed today. It worked like a champ first time I turned the key. I tried it a few more times and it worked so. I took Black Betty out for a drive to make sure she shifted ok. I never had any issues with the transmission that I noticed. Just that aggravating issue with the tach not working.
I tried a number of things before I shelled out the $200 for the TECA. But, with my old eyes, and laying on a gravel driveway to try and track down point to point wiring issues, the $200 seems like a gamble worth taking.
Now, I must admit, like any guy who's ever been done wrong, it WILL take me awhile to trust her again and it will always be at the back of my mind. All I can do is turn the key and hope for the best!!!
-Playme:frustrate

dan-o

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, the ORIGINAL problem was the tach not working and the tranny not working. I learned that the problems were connected. I knew absolutely nothing about this system when I started. Truth be told, I still don't know 1/10th.
I had tried cleaning, torqueing and then replacing the magnetic pickup on the fuel injector pump. Then tracked down fuses, cleaned grounds, checked plug connectors. The problem remained, intermittently. Sometimes she worked. Sometimes she didn't. Very frustrating. Especially when you get everything loaded up for a camping trip and she didn't run.
When I replaced the TECA, yesterday, the tach worked and the E40D worked as good as it ever had.
I appreciate this FORUM immensely!!! I, truly, would have been lost without it.
You guys rock!