Rebuilt 6.9 sat for 10 years

Reaction score
'83 F250 4x4 4 spd LIGHT DUTY! not a full floater rear end ***?:dunno I never knew...

Story as relayed to me from seller...

Old man/Farmer, Farm truck, rebuilt engine 6/96 for $3213.20. Old man gets older, truck accumulates less than 1k miles on the farm although it could have been 'used' allot during that time.years went by, old man died, sticker bushes grew. Family wants to develop the property. Trees are sold and brush needs cleared. Truck is discovered!

So, I paid $100 and dragged it home. As best I can tell, the engine is siezed. We tried to turn the crank with a breaker bar but it was just gunna twist off. So when I was pushing it up into the driveway, I noticed the wheels didn't turn. OOPS I guess it was still in gear. So it is REALLY seized good.

So, it is reeeeeeeaaly ugly and I need to get it out of here. *** did I buy it for? Well I have the receipts for the work done, overhaul kit, injectors, pump, crank, 1 rod, machine sho, repair head, overhaul oil cooler, 16 lifters.

I have allready sold the push bumper for the $100 I spent, and as heavy as it is i figure I should be able to get a couple hundred in scrap.

Do you think any of the easily accessible parts are still good after sitting for so many years? I mean the new pump and injectors, would they be all dried out and just useless?

I REALLY can't leave it in the driveway more than a few days at most, as I have been harassed by the city about 2 Volvos. I finally just got rid of. 2 times by letter and once in person. So I hate to get get back on there radar so soon.

I was thinking I might take the front driveline, and maybe the transfer case if it isn't to difficult to remove. Maybe they would work on my 1 ton. I thought there might be a few easily removed parts I might ebay or something, but i am not sure what has any value.

Please advise me. I would park it away in a hole until I get " a round TUIT", but I allready have 2 other "parts trucks" there lol.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'd geat some Kroil. Soak the GP's for a couple of days. Then remove them. Then soak the cylinders for a couple of days. It'll turn over, then.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, my dads boss gave us an engine in a wrecked 85 that was a crate engine with less than 5k on it before it was wrecked. The engine was seized from sitting so long. So we soaked it and it wasnt long before it turned and fired up. The one thing we were not expecting was one valve was stuck for a good 5 minutes of running because it was popping back into the intake. But it apparently did no harm and it just started running fine after that. The only issue we've had with it is the rings are stuck and we cant get them to un stick and seat themselves. But hey it was free!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
6 Neb. Go to kanolabs.com Get some Kreen. It'll free stuck rings

My uncle George swears by it. He buys flatheads that have been sitting outside for decades. Uses Kreen, 7-10 days and they magically turn over by hand.

And it works wonders on EGR systems, too!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to "seize" an engine, just a little rust on the rings will do it.

Soak that sucker, then chain it behind another truck and let out the clutch in 4th gear. It will break loose or it won't but you will know real quick.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it sat with the hood up it may be toast,

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont know that IP gear looks rough, i woudl try soaking it but if that is any indacator i wouldent hold out much hope. why would the injectors be bad i thought they were all metal?

is that a semi-float rear? dont feel so bad if it is i got one in my F350 crewcookoo

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
bolts missing from the ip gear cover? no rad? was the breather not on it? man just go ahead and get parts off it and make some money?:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you get the numbers off the tcase, I would be interested in it if it is a 1356

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that IP gear is any sign of what the rest of the engine looks like, I'd say it's toast. If it did run, it wouldn't last long.

Reaction score
bolts missing from the ip gear cover? no rad? was the breather not on it? man just go ahead and get parts off it and make some money?:dunno

It did not sit with the hood up, and parts taken off because I am trying to take some parts off to sell and then ditch the carcass.

I took the oil fill tube off because it was looking nasty and I wanted to see inside. Most that rust flaked off of it.

I think you guys may have miss understood my goal. While I would love to keep the engine and see if I could bring it back to life, I lack the facilities to do that. I just want to take whatever parts off of it that I can sell or use. I hope to have it gone by this weekend. The pictures show how nasty it is and it is plopped right in front of my house.

I don't know what the transfer case is, but I added a picture online.

Link

Another

So, i am sad to see it go, but I have to stick to my plan or risk getting in trouble with the man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726