Rear wheel studs?

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there are several threads on the L handed rear wheel studs.....but is there any reason NOT to switch them to R handed threads? I am about to put my Alcoas on and dont want to order a whole new set of nuts.
BTW I have a D70...has anyone done this? Does anyone have a part # for the studs? Thanks

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Ford did. I am not sure when but Ford had gone with all righthand studs. My 2004 has all righthand studs, but my '72 had both. I am trying to remember if my '82 had both or not...

Dave

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really no reason I can think of why you can't change the lefties to righties... I'm sure there is no difference size from left to rights. I might suggest to not pound them in but pull them in with the lug nuts and an impact driver if you have one. Might make up a spacer so the lug nut is not being driven all the way down on the new stud.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
If you can, it's better to press them in and out. I'd personally rather have all the same lugs. Only thing that I own that has both right and left hand threads hopding wheels is our '77 Fan 5th wheel camper and those are bolts instead of studs. Luckily they are satmped with a R and L on the heads, but the whole deal is annoying.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have access to a press. If Im not mistaken, the hub and drum are together, Right?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You press the studs into the hub, then the drum fits onto the studs. No reason to have left hand studs on drivers side.

I wouldn't know where you would get a part number for them. There probably 9/16" NF, take one up to an automotive store, more than likely they have them. Yeah, nuts and studs are expensive, try a JY for them at least the nuts.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are 9/16-18 on the srw. Don't go to advance thinking you could buy a set...they might have 1 and they are pricy. I just had to buy one for the front. 20 minutes of the guy digging through the pile he found one pretty close. Then I sent him after a few lug nuts. I ended up with 3 different hex sizes and 2 left hand nuts. SMH.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Check Autozone. What isn't on the shelf can be ordered. The 2 piece lug nuts are expensive. I hate open ended lug nuts anyway so I'm looking at replacing mine with these. Cheaper, closed end and still 2 piece.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/32-PC-ALCOA-D...XED-WASHER-9-16-X-18-/201008591941?nav=SEARCH

If you are running singles, check out Speedway Motors, Jegs or Summit Racing (easier to navigate) for McGuard lug nuts. 9/16-18 RH duplex lug nuts are cheaper on ebay, but I bought 2 sets of the McGuards when I put the 10.25 under Bruiser and they still look new after all these years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online