Rear ends

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a single rear wheel f 350.
Is it as simple as putting a set of bud wheels on and getting the fenders?
Or are they different?
Someone told me years ago that there are 3 widths of rearends Cab and Chassis, Pick up and dulley.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will find that dually wheels will not clear the leaf springs on most single wheel trucks. Duallies have narrower springs and frames for that reason.

If you want dual wheels on your truck, you need to use spacers, either between 2 single wheels, or between the axle and dual wheels. Neither will give your truck dually capacity.

C&C trucks have narrower rear axles than dually pickup trucks, since the tires run under the bed rather than outside like a pickup.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Or are they different?
Someone told me years ago that there are 3 widths of rearends Cab and Chassis, Pick up and dulley.

I can tell you there was a difference between my 85 F350 cab and chassis dually and my 87 F250 (SRW)! The spring perches on the cab and chassis were narrower than the 87 F250 as well as my buddies 85 F250. All were 4 wd. and the 85 spring perches were about 3 inches narrower to allow the deep dished inner DRW to clear. They would not after moving the spring perches out to allow the F350 rearend to be installed in my 87 F250 and I had to purchase adapters and use the stock wheels. Just an FYI, but I don't know about the dually setup otherwise.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you want dual wheels on your truck, you need to use spacers, either between 2 single wheels, or between the axle and dual wheels. Neither will give your truck dually capacity.

I purchased my adapters from JCWhitney who in turn sourced them. They allowed me to contact the maker, which I can't think of the guys name. I told him what I was doing and he said he would guarantee mine to 10,000 lbs. (5 tons) which is more than I have any business having on the back of my truck, although my dump hoist is a 5 ton unit (which is where we arrived at that point). I have a 14,000 lb capacity tandem axle trailer and have had 12,000 lbs on it. I have hauled 3 ton on the bed with no problems as well. The adapters are VERY substantial. They have 8 lugs that thread on to hold the inner wheel on and the stock they are made of is the same diameter as the lug nut (like 1 1/4 inch) and they have a male stud on the end of them to hold the outer wheel on. Then there is a spacer that slides over them with 8 tubes of about 1/4 thick material and a flat plate for the outer wheel to seat against. I have to take my outer wheels off soon to install extensions on the inner wheel. I can take some pics if you want. Will probably be next weekend.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For many years, Ford cab-chassis frames were standard 34-1/2" outside measure; and, 1/2, 3/4, and dually frames were 42" outside measure.

A standard ton chassis-cab rear-end will not mate to the springs of a 3/4 ton or dually.

A 3/4 ton or dually rear-end can be grafted in a chassis-cab ton by adding new spring-perches in the proper locations.

:yell: It is improper to call all DRW trucks "Duallies", as a dually is a DRW truck with those ridiculous run-everybody-else-in-the-ditch fenders sticking out from a pick-up bed.

Even though they have dual rear wheels, a one-ton chassis cab truck is not a dually.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to take my outer wheels off soon to install extensions on the inner wheel.

If you are meaning valve-stem extensions, I have managed to install several sets of them, without removing the outer wheel, by working between the tires with some of those extra-long needle-nose pliers.

It is not easy, but less trouble than jacking up a truck and removing wheels.;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or are they different?
converting from SRW to DRW is a little tougher than that. the hub and drum offest is a little wider in order to accomodate the DRW rims. You can achieve this by installing a set of spacers on a SRW axle OR by installing a pickup DRW axle. The frame widths are the same as well as the spring widths. I have done enough swaps to confidently state this. Where you will run into differences is between the pickup chassis and the commercial chassis. The frame widths, spring width AND length, and axle width is completely unique. there's also two more not mentioned axle width differences also. The 88-97 F450 has a axle width just right in between the F350 commercial and the F350 DRW. The second one is the E350 and E450 van chassis dually. Those are the widest of them all. Those exceed the F350 pickup dually by four inches.
here's the widebody recap. from narrowest to widest....
F250,F350 SRW
F350 DRW commercial
F450 88-97
F350 DRW pickup
F350,F450 E-series van&bus chassis
confused yet?:D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I can tell you from extensive measurements that my 85 F350 cab and chassis and 87 F250 SRW pickup, both 4 wheel drive and the 85 a DRW, that the wheel flanges were exactly the same although the frame widths were not. The 85 was 34 inches flat and the 87 was 37 1/2 inches wide on the outside. I moved the 85 axles spring perches outward to make up the difference, which gave me the axle I wanted, the gear ratio I wanted, but the inability to run OEM dual rear wheels.

At any rate, it is not an easy, just swap axles change unless you have the right axle to swap in. Pay attention to spring perch widths and wheel flange widths and you will get what you need.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
:yell: It is improper to call all DRW trucks "Duallies", as a dually is a DRW truck with those ridiculous run-everybody-else-in-the-ditch fenders sticking out from a pick-up bed.

You lost me here. Dual means two, so where does fenders have anything to do with it, I would guess if the fender count had anything to do with it, they would be called quadies (two front, two rear:rotflmao ). Around here, if it has dual rear wheels, it is called a dually sorry if that doesn't fit your interpretation of what a dually is! cookoo

on edit
From Wikipedia -

North American full-size pickups
A full-size pickup is a large truck suitable for hauling heavy loads and performing other functions. Most full-size trucks can carry at least 1,000 lb (450 kg) in the rear bed, with some capable of over five times that much. The bed is usually constructed so as to accommodate a 4 ft x 8 ft sheet of plywood. Most are front-engine and rear-wheel drive with four-wheel drive optional, and most use a live axle with leaf springs in the rear. They are commonly found with V8, V10, or Diesel engines. The largest full-size pickups feature doubled rear tires (two on each side on one axle). These are colloquially referred to as "duallies" (DOOL-eez), or dual-wheeled pickup trucks, and are often equipped with a fifth wheel for towing heavy trailers.

Don't see mention of fenders here either. :confused:

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
hey Scott that 10,000 lb limit was that gross weight I'm betting it was and since my truck weighs 8500 lbs empty with out me that don't leave a whole lot of weight left allthough I do understand that not all of that 8500lbs is on the rear wheels but then we all know these trucks will haul way more then rated and most of the time all you need is a couple more tires to hold the weight and help keep it stable

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
No, it wasn't gross weight. We talked about that and the guy I talked to was very familiar with the 6.9 and 7.3, said he had one as a matter of fact. My F250 weighed 6300 pounds empty and I would guess that 4000 of that was on the front end! :) With my old set of tires and the 4.10's, I could spin the back tires at will at about any speed! I asked him about load and he said if you haul 5 ton and break them, I will replace them.

I haven't seen anything built quite like these, but haven't seen many anyway. I can tell you that he also made a set for the local volunteer fire department, and their gross was 13,780 lbs as they had a water tank on the truck they put them on which was the reason they wanted them. They have had them for 2 years and prolly 50 or so fire runs, not to mention the truck sits loaded all the time with water in a garage as it used for rural firefighting in areas where things are not real accessible. It is an old international truck, but I can't remember all the details of what it was, it was an older unit donated by one of the other departments. I have hauled 3 ton on mine, load only and my truck now weighs about 6700 empty. I am running 10 ply tires that rated at 3800 pounds each IIRC.

At any rate, I have hauled 3 ton or close to, weighed at the stone quarry with no problems. I don't even have the overload spring brackets on it yet because I can't find the ones like what came off of it, all metal no nylon insert.

The guy may be full of crap, but if they will work with a 3 ton load, I am happy. I don't haul more than that at once anyway other than on the trailer, so I am good to go and that kind of load is pretty rare and pretty short. The stone quarry is about 10 miles from me, all good blacktop road. Will be doing quite a bit in the spring when we go full swing on the house!

Still looking for a backhoe and operator Aric, care to venture south? :D

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am confused

SOOOO what I get is that a cab and chassis axle is narrower to keep the tires in and the perches are in to clear the tires and the frames are narrower.
On a duelly the axle is wider? Is the frame width the same as a pick up?
I cant move the springs in ,They ar on the side of the frame.
So is a duelly rear wheel rear end springs in the same location as my pick up?
I guess what I am getting at is can I bolt a dulley rear end in my truck and add fenders? with no mods?
Or If I space the wheels out on my rear end?
How much are we talking?
Will it look right with the dulley fenders or in?
Thanks
John

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
ok a reguler dually fame width is the same as yours you can swap it in a cab N chassis model has a narrower frame I think they are a standard size for versatility for what ever you want to put on the frame and so the axle is narrower too so you can either add spacers to yours and dually fenders or a dually axle and fenders

Scott I got my septic all in but I bet you need a bigger backhoe then mine I rented a trackhoe to do mine so much faster

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
ok a reguler dually fame width is the same as yours you can swap it in a cab N chassis model has a narrower frame I think they are a standard size for versatility for what ever you want to put on the frame and so the axle is narrower too so you can either add spacers to yours and dually fenders or a dually axle and fenders

What he said!

Scott I got my septic all in but I bet you need a bigger backhoe then mine I rented a trackhoe to do mine so much faster

Yeah, thinking about renting a 330 Cat. Just haven't run one since I worked on campus lands for the college. I left there in uh,hum 1991, so it has been a few years.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Box van Rear end??

Ok How about a box van rear end?
Nick has one for sale, would it be te one?:confused:
Thanks
John