REar end

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From calculations I believe I have 4:56 ring gear. I opened it up this week to change fluid and found this on the gear, 410 ESTW DA 1041 OFB. Does that mean I have 4:10's? I couldn't go over 70 before.

I was also surprised to see it is a posi rear. Does it need any special additives with 80-90 gear lube? I did put some Lucas oil stabilizer in with it. I cannot read the axle codes on the door jamb anymore.

The US Gear is in and is awsome. The tanks are harpooned. The new rear TFI 45 gal tank is in and working good too. The previous problem was in fact a kink in the lines going over the cross member. I haven't had a chance to try filling since the harpoon. I need to get a 2nd mortgage to both tanks now (65 gal) cookoo .

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
not sure about your rear end,but it's good to hear you got your tank issues delt with.
i hear you about the second mortgage,i hate filling my 42 gallons up,cant imagine paying for 65 :eek:

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be able to get a bottle of LS additive from the Ford dealer or Kragen or NAPA, any decent store should have the little bottle for the LS/POSI units. Scotty

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Get that additive in there or you might damage the LS unit. Right before our vacation to Montana I changed out the oil in my Sterling and bought the additive from NAPA made by CRC and Valvoline synthetic gear oil. Took three quarts (almost) plus the additive. If you already filled it, get one of those gear oil pumps that would be needed for the the Dana 50 and drain some out to make room for the additive and then top off again with your oil. Before winter I need to drain my Dana 50 and fill with synthetic.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second TroutW, get the additive in there, it will chew up the clutch without the proper additive package. Scotty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online