rear end locked up and I need help!

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so the passenger side rear hub is jacked up it cant be turned by hand and it locked up on the interstate today and has only moved a little bit with 4 low in 4 wheel dr. I am trying to take it apart to get to the bearings but I cant. I have the axle out but the outer bearing nut will not budge and I mean it. I broke a rachet and bent the tabs on the hub tool a bit! I dont know what to do because its really stuck.-cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the locking tab? Not sure if you have a Dana or Ford, but the Dana's have a little U shaped tab that is driven into the soft nylon to lock the nut in place.

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I am turning it in the right way it is stamped RH on that side so counter clockwise it right, right? Also there was no locking pin. maybe I will post a pic tomorrow but it is just the nut. it has some tabs inside the thing and has a cup looking thing on the outside and the manual has it to be all one piece. there is the key way and I bet the locking pin would go in there but there is not one unless the last owner had lost it. also there was water in the oil so stuff may have siezed up. Thanks for the input. I may just replace the whole axle if it get to hard I need the truck for work so....

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I had that happen to the drivers side of my truck once. The end result of it all was that it had to be cut off with a torch. I think I had the nut off though, just the bearings were cut.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Wow, epic failure:puke: I had that happen once and it was not pretty. You nay need to get someone that is really good with a torch. I torched mine apart but it took time and patience. Definatly not the job to do with a beer. since its already kinda trashed you could try heating it up a little. Just try not to heat the spindle too much if using an oxy/acetylene torch.
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online