Rear end decisions...

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies. I stand corrected. I still stand by my advice to leave it alone. The pinion nut minimum torque for crush sleeves is 160 ft lbs. I really doubt that he has even gotten it that tight. If he takes it apart, with no past experience in axle work, he will still need to get correct torque, and he will have a much greater chance of causing more problems for himself. He will have to contend with caps, shims and bearings, seals, all which can be incorrectly installed. I do not recommend diff work for beginners. Too much to go wrong. BUT, it is not my truck, and he must live with the truck. :eek:

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies. I stand corrected. I still stand by my advice to leave it alone. The pinion nut minimum torque for crush sleeves is 160 ft lbs. I really doubt that he has even gotten it that tight. If he takes it apart, with no past experience in axle work, he will still need to get correct torque, and he will have a much greater chance of causing more problems for himself. He will have to contend with caps, shims and bearings, seals, all which can be incorrectly installed. I do not recommend diff work for beginners. Too much to go wrong. BUT, it is not my truck, and he must live with the truck. :eek:

You are correct in some of this, however once that crush sleeve has been crushed to proper level, it is quite easy to crush it further by just whacking away on the nut with an impact to tighten up the loose nut. Thus subsequently have the potential of causing damage as well.

Admittedly having little to no experience can prove challenging however with proper input and suggestions here from those in the know, who have done this type of work, it is not too difficult. Mark the caps, L and R, the axles come out and the O rings on the ends are all there are for a seal. Not too hard to deal with IMHO.

Ultimately it's up to the OP, once provided correct info if he feels confident in tackling said procedures.

Lets see how he feels about this and I'll look into scanning my FORD repair manual for procedures and torque etc to assist the OP. The only thing is he will have to rely on instructions for CSEK crush sleeve eliminator kit to install it properly, all the rest I can help with in regards to the manual as it would cover a sleeve not a stack of shims.

Al

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PackRat, I actually think that the job he has ahead of him is the easiest way to learn diff work. There is no pinion depth to change or shifting the carrier sideways required, heck he's not even pulling the bearings. As long as he keeps the main caps oriented properly (both left-right and up-down, I usually scribe L and R and add an arrow to point up), and remember which carrier shim goes on which side (there are only two from the factory, thickness is around 7mm each but they always add up to 14mm), he can reinstall the carrier exactly how the factory put it in. The only thing to really mess up is the pinion preload, but you really have to work hard to accomplish that - the kit I linked him to has very simple instructions, if you can add single-digit numbers you can install the kit. The one thing I wish the kit had was shim thickness marked on each shim, the way it comes you have to measure each shim and then remember which is which - still not hard, just mildly annoying.

Riot, my suggestion for the one-handed turning of the driveshaft was based that if you can accomplish that with all the drag on the brakes and inertia of the wheels, then your pinion is likely not self destructively preloaded. The OP said he uses a healthy IR impact tho, so I'm thinking he did go overboard some - really there is one way to find out, and at that point might as well do it right. And +1 on the RTV on the yoke splines, don't put it on the pinion cause then yoke will push it into the bearing - when you smear it on the yoke the pinion will push the excess RTV out towards the nut, which is where you want it anyways. And while a new nut is nice, red loctite on the threads of the old one will achieve the same effect. Plus with solid spacer that does not give and the high torque on the nut she really stands little chance of loosening even w/o loctite.

Laser, yeah, pretty much that's it - measure old sleeve and that's your starting point, then add shims if pinion turns too hard or remove shims if it's too loose. Actually the instructions with the kit say to start at .002 under crush sleeve thickness, either way is fine IMHO, worst case you'll have to shim it one more time, hardly a big deal. Btw how are you stacking your 8.8 posi: clutch-steel-steel-clutch-steel-steel-clutch, or clutch-steel-clutch-steel-clutch-steel-clutch? The factory rebuild kit comes with only 6 clutches, so if you wanna do the alternating pattern and run 8 clutches you'll have to either buy an aftermarket kit that has 8 clutches, or reuse the best 2 from your old packs. Also, be prepared to cuss at the S-spring, I can tell you from now she will not be very cooperative with you upon reassembly LOL

Metal, get that sweating gears image out of your head, it's not what's going on in there. Gears still mesh fine, if anything maybe even slightly loosely now, they're definitely not jammed together. All that's happening is that your pinion bearings are working overtime, but if you avoid high speeds and try to limit your driving as much as possible I doubt there will be any damage done to them either. For your clunk near the transmission, check the u-joints, it's possible that till now the loose pinion was covering up a loose u-joint, but since pinion is no longer loose then you get to hear the u-joints instead.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solid guys. I also just found a cd i had bought with the factory manual on it in PDF form so i am grasping how this all works much better now. I will report back when its all properly back together.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am still on your side of this thing. Have done many of them the simple way. Of course if you tighten it up so tight that you can't turn the pinion shaft you have it too tight.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Okey dokey...have fun! lol I think most here are half glass empty types, and unless you have one hell of an impact (which I didn't recommend, I said torque to 100, 110, etc.) you'll be fine, but better safe than sorry. I had to change a yoke on mine with the 4.10's...I hit it with 160 ft/lbs, then pulled over 10,000 pounds of trailer and cattle the same day...never had an issue, but still, taking it all apart and making sure it is correct is probably the best case scenario.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my gun is rated as: Max. Torque, Rev(ft-lbs): 780 not sure on forward..... but i wacked it... :idiot::idiot::idiot:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okey dokey...have fun! lol I think most here are half glass empty types, and unless you have one hell of an impact (which I didn't recommend, I said torque to 100, 110, etc.) you'll be fine, but better safe than sorry. I had to change a yoke on mine with the 4.10's...I hit it with 160 ft/lbs, then pulled over 10,000 pounds of trailer and cattle the same day...never had an issue, but still, taking it all apart and making sure it is correct is probably the best case scenario.
Nah, I'm actually a glass-half-full type, IMHO there are so many really bad things that could (and do) happen to a person that the little things like truck problems just a drop in the lake. I do like to look at worst case scenarios tho, simply cause avoiding them in the first place usually is a whole lot easier (and cheaper) than dealing with the aftermath. I actually do agree with you that if the seal wasn't leaking just putting the breaker bar on the nut and tightening it would have likely been sufficient, I did just that to my truck once and it bought me years and thousands of miles of trouble-free use. My concern came from the fact the OP used a beast of an impact wrench, I just have this image in my head of catastrophic bearing failure at 75mph while pulling a trailer thru the Plains at night... I know, not a situation most people would find themselves into, but it could happen, and for what it takes to minimize the chance of it happening the gamble just ain't worth it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my gun is rated as: Max. Torque, Rev(ft-lbs): 780 not sure on forward..... but i wacked it... :idiot::idiot::idiot:

OOPS

BTW can you or LCAM post those friggen instructions for the CSEK please, I've gotta install one been a while since I've done one and it was on 9" Fords those I did do! and I'd like to ensure it's correctly done as my kit is just parts. TY in advance

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CSEK = Crush Sleeve Eliminator Kit. New abbreviation he came up with I guess LOL. As for the destructions, I'd post them but I have no idea where I put them. I thought I knew, but it appears it is not the case.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, you might have gotten it a little tight...torque wrench is your friend! lol Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get it sorted out!

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"CSEK" should be here tomorrow according to fedex... gotta love summit. now if i can just come up with a reason why i cant go to this wedding... :sly

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's simple - going to the wedding will result in destruction of your truck's rear axle. Good luck selling that tho... LOL If on the other hand the newlyweds are willing to buy you new bearings just so you can attend, then they fully deserve your presence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online