Rear end decisions...

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But why are you using 0.5mm shim if old one was 0.60? Is that what the shop who pressed it for you suggested? Make sure you "paint" the gears and check the contact pattern before final reassembly. Also did the larger bearing press on the scored pinion shaft nicely?

upon re measurement, i found that the ring was deformed ever so slightly causing the larger reading. i am fairly sure the shim was originally .50 the bearing pressed on good and i think it will be ok. the races that i removed from the diff case had marks from where the bearing rollers crushed into them. :eek:

here is the preload i ended up with ;Sweet
You must be registered for see images

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck feels good now and i think i am in the clear!

Thanks so dang much for all the help!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you seem to have come to a successful end. It's been informative for anyone following it. ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the exhaust pipe in the left top corner of the pic? If so I'd rotate it so it points a bit away from the yoke, all that heat and soot blasting out does no good to the seal there.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what yer saying is yer rolling again and that you've learned all about differentials in an intimate way, well beyond your original plan of just replacing a seal?????;Poke

I'm glad that in the end (pun intended) your rear was ok and that you managed to get it working properly.

No more Impacts I take it for when ya gotta tighten things down I bet, all torque wrench from now on eh?

Well lets keep an eye on it and keep us informed.

I have read watched and learned quite a bit from this thread I'll say that much!.

Now that my personal toy, my 6x6 is nearing completion, I'll have my shop to use for things like rebuilding my rear diff and such.

Woo hoo for you and soon me too!

Great job metalminded and thanks LCAM

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to thise forum. I got to tell you this post was a great read. It was like a book you can't put down. I came to the right place. I'm amased at the amont of help this youngman recieved. From a newbe you guys rock.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm new to thise forum. I got to tell you this post was a great read. It was like a book you can't put down. I came to the right place. I'm amased at the amont of help this youngman recieved. From a newbe you guys rock.

Thank you and Welcome to Oil burners!

Take some time introduce yourself and look around, we aim to offer the help that stealerships cannot and at a rate anyone can afford. Free, all our advice is free and it is the end users choice to take it or leave it! LOL

The collective here is darn well amazing, we have Diesel injection repair pump shop owners and custom fabricators and retirees and turbo fans who mod turbos with great results, we can answer about any question that comes up and if we can't we work together to find the answer.

Hope ya enjoy your stay.

Again welcome to OB

Al

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just read this thread and I've gotta say: LCAM went way above and beyond the call of duty here...

Great job LCAM, you've helped out a fellow oil burner. ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

Good job to metalminded as well, for sticking it out and getting the job done correctly.
Glad you're here. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online