Rear diff cover

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-8C3Z-40...r=1-1&keywords=ford+finned+differential+cover
those covers are pretty spendy at $55 for a aluminum finned cover lol. Thats why i went to one. better heat dissipation from aluminum and fins over stock, and way cheaper than a mag hytech, but then again I dont pull much so stock did just fine, but why not upgrade?

sorry @catbird7 I am with macrobb on this when sythetic leaks It tends to be showing where old seals are about to leak because the synthetic and also usually lighter weight oil is able to seap out where the thicker oil doesnt. But there is nothing wrong with going back to something that doesnt leak provided it meets all of the axles lube requirements!

fyrfghter

Reaction score
Lubelocker gaskets are awesome for diff’s if you need to maintenance or swap fluid regularly. You re-use the gasket and no sticky mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-8C3Z-40...r=1-1&keywords=ford+finned+differential+cover
those covers are pretty spendy at $55 for a aluminum finned cover lol. Thats why i went to one. better heat dissipation from aluminum and fins over stock, and way cheaper than a mag hytech, but then again I dont pull much so stock did just fine, but why not upgrade?

sorry @catbird7 I am with macrobb on this when sythetic leaks It tends to be showing where old seals are about to leak because the synthetic and also usually lighter weight oil is able to seap out where the thicker oil doesnt. But there is nothing wrong with going back to something that doesnt leak provided it meets all of the axles lube requirements!

I don't disagree, synthetic lubes have clearly been proven superior. Simply relating my experience using them. It's probably good advice to replace old gaskets & seals when changing to synthetics in an effort to avoid potential leaks...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a reason to use a 80w-140wt oil unless your always pulling a heavy load. 80w90 will be fine and give better mpg.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
except for the fact that the sterling 10.25 specs 85-140, and sterling 10.5 specs 75-140 synthetic. I would think that 80-90 is ******* them because it does not give the proper lubrication I doubt you would see an increase in mpg with 80-90 But I could be wrong. I love to learn!

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lubelocker gaskets are awesome for diff’s if you need to maintenance or swap fluid regularly. You re-use the gasket and no sticky mess

Yea unless amazon sends the wrong one. I was excited to try one, I rtv'd it and moved on though!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just check amazon has that cover listed @ $59 bucks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some years back on this very forum I was reading about how easy it was to change fluid in the differential. This member filled a plastic bag with the fluid and placed it in the gears. then installed the cover. The spinning gears break open the bag and then the oil coats everything as normal. The plastic bag will do no harm to any gears or seals...So was the claim... . I'm not a follower of the bag idea but kind of still wonder if it works or not. One would think pieces of the bag could get into areas that may block oil like axle tubes. Still wonder...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some years back on this very forum I was reading about how easy it was to change fluid in the differential. This member filled a plastic bag with the fluid and placed it in the gears. then installed the cover. The spinning gears break open the bag and then the oil coats everything as normal. The plastic bag will do no harm to any gears or seals...So was the claim... . I'm not a follower of the bag idea but kind of still wonder if it works or not. One would think pieces of the bag could get into areas that may block oil like axle tubes. Still wonder...

Sounds like a good idea, especially for an engine build haha

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
except for the fact that the sterling 10.25 specs 85-140, and sterling 10.5 specs 75-140 synthetic. I would think that 80-90 is ******* them because it does not give the proper lubrication I doubt you would see an increase in mpg with 80-90 But I could be wrong. I love to learn!
My 87 specs 80w90 in both the owners manual and alldata.

fyrfghter

Reaction score
Yea unless amazon sends the wrong one. I was excited to try one, I rtv'd it and moved on though!
That’s a bummer, I have a RuffStuff diff cover in the front and it was just an add on to get the lube locker. My rear is rtv if I remember right. At some point I’ll get another diff cover for it and go lubelocker

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I’m not a fan of royal purple. I used to run it in difs. I did some reading on it in at least one oil viscosity study (no there’s no way I can find it now) and it didn’t even come close to maintaining viscosity. Way too thin at temp. That may be why you were seeing leaks. Mobil 1 was right near the top of the heap so that’s what I’ve been running. No leaks that I can see.

For the record, I run that ford diff cover with a gasket and rtv on both sides of the gasket. Just the way I was taught. Never had one leak though. I tend to use permeated ultrablack. It’s good for about anything.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that Ford cover look thick enough to tap for a drain plug?

I could always get a chunk welded on at work but it'd be really nice to be able to drain it without removing it.