Really, REALLY, stupid question, but....

nicknd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where do you add motor oil on a 6.9 diesel? I just went to add some an couldn't find an oil filler cap near the block. I'm guessing I add oil to the thing where you take the cap off to check for blow by? Please bear with me, this is my first diesel.

This is the "thing" I'm talking about.
You must be registered for see images attach

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
You are correct ;Sweet Should hold about 3 gallons of 15W-40 diesel oil, and some (including me) recommend running a Powerstroke oil filter. Get one for a 97 Ford if you choose to do so.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right there on the top of the filler neck, which is what you're pointing at. Twist that off and our the oil right in.

As for the "stupidity" of your question, anyone forgets the time when they were learning, then that's on them.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
just curious, what is the indoor wire connector doing near the injection pump? they dont belong on trucks.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, yes, the infamous 710 cap, lol :D

Corey, it looks like something was spliced into the cold advance/fast idle circuit, maybe a switch for manual fast idle?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
710 cap....:eek: I remember that one Mell...:D Sure made me laugh..... Kinda funny how people see things differantly. Yes.... Thats where you add oil to the motor. Usually most on this forum will run the motorcraft 1995 oil filter because its a finer micron filtration and it holds more media and oil. If you use this filter figure on about 11 quarts of oil and the smaller filters with use 10 quarts of oil for an oil change... Never feel you need to apoligise for a question. Most here are willing to answer anything. A question may seem stupid to you or others but... The only real stipid question is one not asked. Those can be costly.... PS.... Welcome to the forum where advise is free and there is lots of it....

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious, what is the indoor wire connector doing near the injection pump? they dont belong on trucks.

Looks like he had a P.O. in his truck, too! I'm glad I'm not the only one afflicted by the scourge of the P.O. That sonofabitch went through 2 of my trucks and wired toggle-switch reverse lights labeled with a Sharpie, daisy-chained fuel pumps, stuffed foam in holes in the firewall, screwed bicycle drinkholders in the dash, welded scrap metal in the floor and pounded it into shape with a mini-sledge (and left the rather useful evidence under the seat), you name it!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"-and wired toggle-switch reverse lights"
@papastruck- -And just what the heck is wrong with toggle switch reverse lights?:backoff

:backoff NOT A THING IS WRONG WITH THEM !!! :backoff

I have my >>>many<<< REVERSE-lights on a relayed circuit.

I can turn them ON with the switch-key in my pocket.

I can turn them OFF such that not even shifting to REVERSE makes them come ON.

Or, I can leave things alone and they operate normally, with the exception that only the minimal current required to trigger the relay is carried via the wimpy factory circuit. :thumbsup:

Now, to the original thread starter guy:

YES; that is the oil filler neck.

A plain-jane 6.9 holds 10-QTs of CI-4 15W-40; use anything else at your own peril.

There are larger filter and cooler options that make room for more oil.

Welcome to the gang. ;Sweet