Real world value of a 78 Ford F150 4x4???????????

Reaction score
I just met a real cool guy who offered a trade for a deuce. I am waiting for photographs but in the mean time I was hoping you all could help me to determine a roundabout value. It is a shot bed regular cab on a stock suspension with no rust but needs paint. It has a 351M with a C-6. He went on to say it has five brand spank me new 33 inch BFG AT’s. I love these trucks (well long beds anyway) but I have not owned one in years. I do not mind some light body work but I want to make sure it is worth giving up a deuce for. The deuce is a 67 Kaiser Jeep with a fender pulled off so I could work on the IP. The truck runs I just never got around to re-installing the fender. Anyhoo, I am not convinced I should give up Bert for this trade, but I do need another truck and I really do not have time to finish the deuce.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, I hate the M series motors. If it was a windsor, that's OK. A Cleveland....now that's the holy grail there. the M is nothing more than a abortion experiement grafting the bottom end of a W motor and the heads of a C motor together. no power, overheated easily, ate valves like candy.
if nothing else, the truck would be a great recipient for a diesel:D

Reaction score
I could not agree with you more. I would love to get a 79 Ford crew cab and drop a 6.9 in it. This truck would be more appealing to me if it had a 300 in it. But, I need something and this is the first offer I have received that is worth considering. I really need that truck out of the way.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 79 Bronco with the M400 motor, and I didn't love it, but I didn't loath it either. I had 138K on mine at the time and the valve covers were never off of it.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do with your trade situation.

wpfd571

Reaction score
Its maybe 2k, do some shopping some guys think these trucks are made of gold but there not. Even if its nice its still a 30 year old pickup. I love these trucks and have one myself, a reg cab shorty 4x4 with a 351M great motors but an idi would be cool in it

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, what shape is the deuce in? If I had a deuce, I wouldn't trade it for that, IMO. I agree with others that the 351M is a ******* engine. It's really doesn't do anything real well, has mediocre power, Timing gears had problems (plastic teeth), and generally was not one of fords great ideas.

But, the 79 bodies ARE cool. If you had a diesel to throw in it, would be awesome.

Reaction score
I just wish I knew what the truck is worth. A lot of the sale papers like Auto Trader and others do not have 78 in thier search critiera. Then other places have such a broad spectrum on pricing, I cannot pin point a decent medium. With in 500 miles of my area I found them selling between $700 and $10,000. Then out side of that I found asking prices upwards of $24,000. There are so many out there and no two are alike. Between beater and nice daily driver to street custom and big mud truck it is tough. I al amlready thinking I should walk away from this deal. I would rather keep my deuce, but it needs a few minor things and I jusr do not have the time or money to deal with it right now.

wpfd571

Reaction score
Well, what shape is the deuce in? If I had a deuce, I wouldn't trade it for that, IMO. I agree with others that the 351M is a ******* engine. It's really doesn't do anything real well, has mediocre power, Timing gears had problems (plastic teeth), and generally was not one of fords great ideas.

But, the 79 bodies ARE cool. If you had a diesel to throw in it, would be awesome.

Have you ever seen the inside of a 351M???? NO PLASTIC TEETH I can tell you that for a fact. Have you ever owned one? Its a great motor that makes good power and is very reliable, sure its not the fastest but i know with headers and intake my truck will out run the windsors and the 360 mopars my buddies have

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
M motors are great, strip the smog, set the cam timing straight up and throw ur favorite 4 bbl intake/carb with a decent cam and its a power house. out of the box its a piece of ****, but ford choked it down with all the smog items its no wonder it has a bad rep.

if the Ms are so bad, why did one win engine masters challange this year?

Reaction score
I am about to head out and see this truck in person. I will get some photographs and seek more guidance on the engine and possible mods.

Black dawg

Reaction score
to add to the m series deal the 351-400 are nothing but tall deck clevelands. different crank journal diameters but the same pos oil system . they use the same heads, different valves and keepers through the years, but they all tend to fall out. that being said ive owned many of these and had very few probs. the only motor ive ever blown up was a cleveland, and it dropped a valve at 6300

Reaction score
I just got back and I am very angry becuase I forgot my camera. For a gasser it was a damn nice truck. It needs some light body work and a scuff and spray paint job. Very little rust and the bed floor looks great. There are no big dents or rust in the flooring. That 351M runs damn fine as well. It is quiet and smooth. The cab needs all the seals but that is normal. It has AC but it is not hooked up yet. The brand new BFG's on Crager ten hole wheels looks very nice and just right for the truck. There are a few issues but over all it is a straight and solid old truck.