Real world value of a 78 Ford F150 4x4???????????

Reaction score
I just did some pricing and I am looking at $600 just the get the cab sealed up like it should. I still have a problem going through with an even trade also. I mean come it is a deuce and a half.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ultimately, a '78 pickup has a wider sales appeal compared to a deuce. Hell, you can't even road one in kali.

Reaction score
I know the F150 is more practical, but not knowing if I will lose money is a big issue. I am trying not to jump into something. I like the F150 and it would be a lot cheaper to keep up with and selling it when I no longer need it would be easier.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I wouldn't give up a duece for that, on a bet. A $1000 coyote hunting tuck at best. So, he put new tires on it. What do the old ones look like? New tires can hide a multitude of suspension/chassis issues, temporarily.
A Buddy of mine had a M truck. It was worn out when he got it & he put a pile of money into it. We fought the engine for months, trying to find a happy place between totally doggy & always overheating.
After that, it kept killing the tranny (C6). After the 3rd try, he swapped in a 4-speed & sold it.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking from a guy who loves the 73-79 Fords, that sounds like a nice truck. I bet if you got it in that shape and did a little light work you could make a pretty penny.

BUT...!

Since I don't own one but have always wanted to, a Deuce is something I wouldn't trade for just a pickup. I can't help you out on this one, I just needed to speak my piece. None of my 70's Fords are rust free and I would KILL to have them that way. But if I had a Deuce I'd run that thing constantly and park the Fords. It would make grocery getting a lot more fun.

But pictures of the Ford would be nice...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that, I guess I'm just thinking that the more the merrier.

mtnbiketahoe

Reaction score
I have owned a 78 f150 4x4 supercab,351m,4-speed, for 10 years before I traded it for a mercedes diesel,and sold it. I just got a f250 supercab 4x4,camper special,400m,c-6,
that I plan to keep for a plow/wood truck.
My f150 drove all over with no problems with the engine,even cross country pulling a trailer, parts are cheap for these old trucks, a 460 will bolt right up as the bellhousing is the same as the m engines, and you can pick up a 460 for well under a grand, they get better mileage and about 60 more horses.
I traded my dodge diesel for 10g cash and the ford and a 97 chevy 4x4,
my 92 f350 cc idi aod should be up here soon.
you can't beat those old fords for a solid work truck,they are really useful when you are wrenching on your diesel and need to get around.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So what is the Duce worth,...? Is he "selling" the F150, or does he just want your Duce? If he is selling it do you actually know what his asking price?

The truck is worth a lot more than $1,000 huntin truck,.:rolleyes:

The main thing is rust, if it is as solid as you say it is an easy $2500 to $3500 truck. with a nice paint job you it could be worth double like ospud2 stated.

I also agree that the F150 would be an easier truck to sell with a wider appeal to people once you decide to sell it.

And of course,..................heads off to look for the "this thread is worthless without pics" smiley

Cant find one,..oh well,...

IDIeselman

Reaction score
$1000 hunting truck? I personally have paid $1000 for just a rust free box, Then drove from Michigan to Oklahoma to pick it up. For $318 You can buy every cab, Door, Window, Vent window, Anti rattle strips, Heater box And vent door seals for that truck. I have restored more of them than I care to admit and ultimatly it is up to you but, In the condition you describe Darrin is right in line of the value of that truck, "Go figure":D

While My heart goes to the IDI Diesels and 429/460's, The 351/400's are solid engines, A mild cam and straight up timing set really brings them to life.

Here's a fairly good site concerning the 351/400 engines http://www.projectbronco.com/Technical_Articles/351m400_performance_build_up.htm

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I agree. I dont know what a deuce is worth but who is looking for one?
As for the 78 f150..... There is a very big following and desirability for them.

Even if the deuce is worth 8k you still have to sell it.

At least the 78 would have people looking for it at half the value. And from what you described, the 78 is in good condition.

I am in the middle of restoring a 79 f150. I paid 950 for a rust free bed , 950 for a rust free cab. and no more than 350 for every rubber weatherstrip to seal the cab. And if you bed is as good as you say, you could sell it for close to 1500 alone

Reaction score
At the time I was consdiering this trade my deuce was nto worth what a good running one would be worth. But the situation as changed. Now that deuce runs so good it is my daily driver. Plus I have made several other repairs and changes. Now it is easily worth $5,000 even though I am only trying to get $3,000. The F150 I was looking at was very nice, but not nice enough for an even trade.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Nothin wrong with 351M's. Great motors. My 77 F250 has a 351M with 192,000 miles on it and never had anything done to it except a waterpump. Valve covers never been off. Oilpan has rust holes cuz it never leaked any oil and ks roads in the winter have a lot of salt on them. Sounds like a sweet truck. Hard to find them NOT rusty here. A diesel would be cool in it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7