Re-arc springs

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Has anyone had the springs on their truck re-arced ? If so, how did it turn out and what did it cost?

I haven't had this done to a vehicle in years and am wondering if it's still a reasonable option, or if it's becoming a lost art or just too dang expensive to be worthwhile compared to a new spring set.

Thanks-------Robert

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I know there are still places out there that can do it. Unless you know a good shop locally, it is likely not worth it. If you just want it back to factory, I would check out the junkyards and try to find a new set. If you want something custom, it will likely get pricey.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
It is not worth it. The springs are weak, thats why they sagged in the first place. All they will do is sag back down

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's only one shop in my area who still does it.
on my f450's the springs can get very pricey new
they're stiff as heck and heavy to boot.
as far as holding up goes, they seem to do fine. I can tell they over compensate a little initially but will settle out after 70k of towtruck use.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Another option would be air bags if you just want some more spring capacity. You would get the benefit of variability too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This thing has towed heavy a lot in it's previous life and it's sagging down to where it is on the overload all the time now.I don't know if an add on air bag would be the best since the air bag would be carrying the lions share of the load. It would sure ride nicer.
A full air suspension is on my dream list for the future, but time and cash will dictate that project. Maybe I just need to fabricate my own :D

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
This thing has towed heavy a lot in it's previous life and it's sagging down to where it is on the overload all the time now.I don't know if an add on air bag would be the best since the air bag would be carrying the lions share of the load. It would sure ride nicer.
A full air suspension is on my dream list for the future, but time and cash will dictate that project. Maybe I just need to fabricate my own :D

It is not all too hard. Just use common sense and make sure nothing rubs against the airbags and you should be fine.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had springs on 4X4 trucks custom-arched to as much as six-inches over stock height at Louisville Auto Spring and never had an issue with future sagging.

The set on my old 1978 K20, 400,000-plus miles, are still standing tall.

Due to the negative arch in the factory front springs on the 1st Gen. Dodge 4x4s, lately it has been a common thing for those guys to take them in to spring shops and get them custom arched to get rid of the rough ride; all that have had it done are well pleased.

That being said, if I only wanted to regain what I had lost with the old tired factory springs, I would just buy brand new springs from somewhere such as Bill's Auto Spring in Louisville, KY.

I bought a new pair for the rear of a DRW ton just recently for something like $400 +or- for the pair, not including the over-loads which were fine.

Once you get the old set out, you may be surprised to find the main leaves nearly cracked in two like I did.;Really

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Total truck in west palm beach can do it right. I have never had it done though. You might try talking to a spring shop they might be able to make you a new set and only keep your top leaf.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they sag right away they didnt re heat treat them. I have had hundreds of sets done and never had that issue. From cars to On-Highway trucks.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
The springs on my '86 F250 4x4 that lost the engine had rearched springs on it. My brother bought them rearched and restacked to be 4" of lift too. Each spring cost about $175-$200 though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
. Each spring cost about $175-$200 though.

That's the kicker . If it cost that much there, here in high ticket land it'll probably be more than that. there's only one place in the state that I know of that still does this and I'm betting that they charge like everything else around here, as in premium rates for the privilige. Might not be worth the fuss when Rock Auto has brand new ones for $207 each

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local fab shop will do them for 150 a corner in about an hours time. Im planning on rearching my fronts to be about 2 or 3 inches taller.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buds Spring shop in Lancaster has done springs for me in the past. You hand them the springs, tell them what they are on, and how much higher or lower you want it to sit, and they did their magic. You give them dirty worn out springs, they hand you back freshly painted new looking ones. I'm not sure what all they do, but every pack I ever got from them was exactly what I wanted. I'd think if you can find a shop like that, your in good hands. Price was always right too. They bought up my Spicer driveline shop, so now they do that stuff too. It's a great outfit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online