RDT into Exhaust.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I'm gonna give this RDT into the exhaust a try with a combination of parts from Jegs / Ford. Sitting in traffic fri with my new cowl hood, the blow by out of the RDT came out the back of the cowl opening and into the fresh air inlet and blew out my AC and defroster vents trying to fill my cab with that wonderful smell and oil film of blow by. :puke:

If it works I'll let everyone know how I did it !

Mike

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yes yes please post back.
Good drag racing setup. Never thought of that seeing it on a regular basis at the strip. cookoo
Was looking into the intake on Goldie and with less than 40k on an IH crate motor, there was plenty of oil on the floor of the intake. Will be doing the RDT to alleviate this issue but same as you Mike not wanting the vapors back in to cab....Got a city gurl for a wife....Cuntrifying her as we speak. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I "third" this...please let us know how it goes! How do you plan to handle the pressure the exhaust will try to put on the line to the crankcase, and getting the crankcase gases to go into the exhaust? I don't know what kind of pressure the exhaust is at in terms of numbers, but the crankcase isn't at that high of a pressure...and overpressuring it will lead to oil coming out of the front and rear main seal (learned this the hard way last year when I found out that breathing oil filler caps put too much pressure on the IDI's crankcase).

I REALLY need to find a way to mask the RDT vapors on my truck...it's bad enough that I'm seriously considering putting the CDR valve back on. :( As it is, it's only a matter of time before I get into legal trouble...

SIKPUP

Reaction score
Ok, Here's the parts I'm going to use, because I have them allready. The only part I got out of the Jegs catalog was a Dynatech Pan E-Vac Kit #329-85-100950. This kit has a weld on fitting, that is cut on a 45 degree angle and threaded for the double ended nipple that will go into the exhaust pipe an inch or so acting like a venturi. the other end is a 1/2 pipe thread. With a 1/2 to 3/4 bushing, I will add a Ford #E9VE-AB, that is emissions style one way check valve. I have a 3 1/2 inch exhaust from my down pipe back to a bullet style muffler (you can put your arm through it) and a full tail pipe to the rear bumper.All exhaust is 3 1/2 inch. I don't think it will be to much back pressure, but if so I'll remove the muffler. You could put this after the muffler to eliminate a real mufflers back pressure, just the hose would be longer. I'm going to just run a hose from the Bank's adapter near the oil fill to the check valve on the E-vac kit and see what happens ? I just need to find out where I'm going to drill and weld in the fitting on my exhaust after the down pipe. I'm going to try it, and will let you know happens.
Maybe if the weather works out it will get done sooner than later. If it doesn't work the kit comes with a threaded plug to block off the hole.

I don't know how to post the Jegs part picture, but if somebody can, you will see how it would be a venturi and not blow backward up the pipe.

I'm open to any suggestions !
Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the pic....
one other thing to think about is the type of hose you are using. standard rubber heater hose is good but will fail in a short period of time due to the fact that heater hose is not oil rated. there is a high temp silicon hose availible but not cheap. One more thing, any anti-backfire valve will work so the trip to the stealership can be avoided.

Attachments

• pan-e-vac.jpg
    pan-e-vac.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 40

WILLD

Reaction score
I was thinking of a similar setup. My thought is that a step in the exhaust would create a vacuum at the point that I would put in the pipe. Since yours is all 3.5" it would be harder. I was thinking of going from the 3" downpipe to 4" pipe out the back and putting it right where the two sizes meet. I was hoping that the velocity going past the step would prevent pressure from backing up into the pipe.

I haven't even managed to put the turbo kit on yet, so I am definitely still in the planning stages.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I have a couple anti-backfire valves and this one seamed to need the least amount of suction to open, so I'll try this one.

Mike

rthomas

Reaction score
ive tried this, sorry i should have posted something about it. all i did was weld a 1" pipe into the exhaust at about a 30* angle. it pulsed a bit out of the pipe at idle but with a little rpm it stopped pulsing and developed a significant draw, in this respect it worked well but all the bb gases go out the tp and are just as obvious as they are under the truck, i hoped the gases would be diluted enough to not be significantly noticable but they were :puke: so the cdr went back on

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
rthomas said:
but all the bb gases go out the tp and are just as obvious as they are under the truck...
that is exactly what i would assume. the gasses are only visible at idle, so my thought was they'd be just as bad - only coming out the tailpipe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online