RDT into Exhaust.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You are right, but then again, it will save you the people starring at you and your truck telling you it is overheating :eek: . First few times is a little funny but it starts to annoy latter.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
For getting the gasses farther away from the cabin, it would be better than under the hood/floorboard area. With the C/C's that would put it back another 15 feet? :rolleyes:
Definitly gonna try it as the oil buildup in the intake with a "newer" motor is a concern. CDR should not be going south with less than 40k. :puke:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still feel that any closed loop system into the exhaust is doomed to failure. The only way such a system will work, is if the BB gases are allowed to vent to atmosphere where the gases are collected at nutrual presure and then pulled into the exhaust stream. I may try this on the Bronco, since I've not been able to convince anyone else to give it a try.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having the crankcase venting into the exhaust (instead of going into the atmosphere) is really more for asthetics than anything else. As to why you don't want the crankcase gases going into the intake...part of these gases is made of up of oil vapor. This oil will then collect on the intake manifold, coat the turbo vanes, etc. Crankcase gases going into the intake is a factory thing, with an eye on emissions...and emissions (for us city-slickers, at least ;)) is why we have to be careful with letting the crankcase vent to the atmosphere. Get the right cop, or if you live in a hippie-infested "utopia" :puke:, and you could actually get in trouble for it. It won't be as obvious to an LEO or a treehugger if the gases are coming out of the exhaust pipe...

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
ok, maybe i'm listening.... obviously someone has done it, but who here will attest to it's effectiveness without damage first? could you do a vac test on the RDT @ idle & @2100 rpm, then do another after plumbing it in to the exhaust? (would i need dual RDTs? :rolleyes: ) i'm curious now.

Mel, you got that thing roadworthy yet? c'mon, take one for the team & be a
guinea pig, man! :thumbsup:

Jon's links:
(i wonder how far back? reading pic !, e guy WANTED vac??)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think slight vacuum's better than any positive (or even neutral) pressure.

I'm with you, Frank...it seems like it would work in theory, but I for one would need to make absolutely certain that it would create a slight negative pressure in the hose at all RPM's/load conditions before I'd give it a try myself.

One thought to test it would be to put the bung in, along with the hose...but, instead of hooking the hose to the RDT setup, install a pressure/vacuum gauge and put it in the cab somewhere as a temporary mount? Then, run the truck in as many scenarios you can think of (driving around unloaded, going up a grade with a decent load, etc) and see if that gauge EVER registers pressure, and go from there.

Just an idea...I would try it myself, except $$'s still lacking (heck, I still need to put an exhaust on my truck :shocked: ) and I'm really gun-shy about crankcase pressure after losing a front and rear main seal to overpressurizing the crankcase. It looks great in theory, though...

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I think the best bet would be to put a 90 degree bend on the nipple for the crankcase vent and position it so that the crankcase enters the exhaust in the center of the pipe. This should create a venturi effect because you have in a sense created a smaller diameter exhaust pipe which will increase the speed of the exhaust flow around the elbow and cause a slight vacuume effect on the crankcase. Hard to explain see illustration!

Main Entry: ven·tu·ri
Pronunciation: ven-'tur-E
Function: noun
Etymology: G. B. Venturi died 1822 Italian physicist
: a short tube with a tapering constriction in the middle that causes an increase in the velocity of flow of a fluid and a corresponding decrease in fluid pressure and that is used especially in measuring fluid flow or for creating a suction (as for driving aircraft instruments or drawing fuel into the flow stream of a carburetor)

Attachments

• crankcase vent.jpg
    crankcase vent.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 41

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
Jon's links:
(i wonder how far back? reading pic !, e guy WANTED vac??)
I think he has it about a foot from the end. I am quessing that is rear spring mount in the top of the picture.

You could help it even more if you did a transition to a larger pipe at that point.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may give it a try Frank. Gotta get the exhaust together first though.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have thought about this as well. I have one of these kits laying on the shelf, just hate to start poking holes in that $120 y-pipe I just put on! :)

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14807

This setup uses the slant cut tube to create a draw and then uses a one way air check valve as someone else had mentioned. I ran these on our drag car, and have wondered about on a 6.9.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Any news on this? I'm interested on covering the cloud that comes out of the front end every time I stop. Don't get Me wrong I :love: it :Sly but I suspect on time somebody will say something about it and give me a ticket :eek: .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still gathering parts. Hope to make some progress this week.