Radios?

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
LMC maybe:dunno i had one in my 89 6.2 i had, my cobra looked awsome up there and my 38 fit nice to;Sweet

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I have a old ass Cobra 29 XLT I got in a trade for some tires along with a bunch of other nifty crap, running it on a 4' fiberglass whip on my toolbox.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Cobra 25 WX NW ST mounted overhead and a Wilson 1000 magnetic mount antenna. Good setup for me, but I don't use it much, only on road trips. I would like to get it peaked and tuned though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a CB for years, but we found them inadaquate for the needs of my railfanning club, so we all got our ham licenses and went to 2 meter. Once you get on a real FM radio with an honest 60 mile range, you won't ever want to go back. Not to mention people talk like they do on this board, and not down in the gutter like CB. Back when that band was licensed, it was a fine medium to have a good conversation on. Ever since they dropped the licensing requirement everything is F this and F that, and that's not something my kids needed to hear on long trips each summer. Kind of a shame really. We all preach how we don't like government involvement, but the one time they actually do as we ask, we prove that we were not worthy of that kind of freedom. The CB band doesn't self police anymore. The ham bands definitely do.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, I guess it really does depend on the people talking tho - I usually travel at night and the most other folks on the CB seem to be truckers, I haven't noticed much swearing and cussing from them guys at all. I guess it's when the hillbillies are awake and running around that the CB band tends to get nasty?

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like mel went to preaching but what can i say he's right.

oh yeah he's preaching

AMEN. AMEN. PREACH IT.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old truck still runs dual truckers from Radio shack and a Kraco from '86. My 89 runs a K40 attached to a Uniden PC78ltw which is great for long runs]

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, I guess it really does depend on the people talking tho - I usually travel at night and the most other folks on the CB seem to be truckers, I haven't noticed much swearing and cussing from them guys at all. I guess it's when the hillbillies are awake and running around that the CB band tends to get nasty?

I'm sure that's true, but I remember having not turned a CB on for years, and then driving home from George's get together in NC back a few. Lady Moose was new to us then, and she came with a CB. We came to a traffic jam on I-95 south of Richmond VA, and I thought "oh... great! We got a CB. I turned it on, and what do you think the very first thing I heard was? "What the F*** is wrong with this God dam Mother F***in'' and that was all I heard before I turned it back off any my wife and I looked at each other, and then looked in the back seat to see if any of the kids were asleep. They weren't. The only time that CB has been on since, is at the IDI Weekends, on some obscure unused channel.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I can agree that most of us truckers do get on rants and whatnot over the CB's...and we don't always censor our conversations the way we should.

I am not too sure about the local CB laws in my area, I do know that a group of us truckers are running some pretty weaked out units. Cobra 29 Chrome's Uniden 78 Elite, Galaxy 98VHP, Connex 4600 etc....and most are running linear amps. They have a lot of power, in some cases 450 watts which allows a range over hilly terrain of about 25 kilometers as the crow flies. Pretty decent for just a trucker's CB lol

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have a lot of power, in some cases 450 watts which allows a range over hilly terrain of about 25 kilometers as the crow flies. Pretty decent for just a trucker's CB lol

That's a transmitting range tho, right, how about receiving - how far out you can receive from?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Im not sure...I have a stock unmodified cobra 19 DX III, it's not a very good radio as far as range, and I can hear my buddies modded Galaxu 98VHP from 25 - 30 kms away...not BS-ing you at all....It's almost to the point where I can hear hom almost anywheres I go lol. He said something about putting out 320 watts per channel....whatever that means.

On another note, I installed my Uniden 78 with the K40 in my truck this afternoon...It needs to be tuned up, but it works damn good! I need an external speaker!

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
is it possible for someone to post a picture of their overhead mounted CB? ive been trying to figur out how to do and i think i need some inspiration :D

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...I picked up my New in the box Uniden 78XL this morning...$80. Then tonight I got a KICK ass deal on a K40 antenna....Just gotta kind a 200+ watt kicker..anyone got one FS?

What do you guys run for CB's?

Had been running a Galaxy DX-95T. Might have to step down a bit, as I think this thing requires a license to operate, technically...

I mounted this radio in an overhead shelf, ran the antenna and power cables through the floorboard up into the headliner area. Antenna was mounted to the bed using a stake pocket antenna mount from Firestik. Sold the truck... so no pictures handy... but installation was rather simple.

Mike