Radios?

85f250dually

Reaction score
im running a general lee thats been worked over slightly that i got from radioactive radios and a predator 10k. i can talk to low power radios as far as 20 miles away and still hear them pretty well.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
I have a I-Com FC-121 VHF radio 120 channels and 50watts. its the best radio i have got to date, i used to have a cobra but that sucked and no one around here uses CBs we all have VHFs i am able to talk to people over 70km away without any trouble. and i have a matched 48" stainless whip for it. awsome set up.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an older Midland VHF mobile (99 channel upgrade) 140-174 mhz (110 watt) vhf , for 2 meter operation and some commercial.

Also I bought last year, a brand new (NOS) Lafayette SSB 23 channel ,from the 70's
This radio is mint.:sly

Both will be installed, soon.

Last edited:

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is a dumb question but what is the differencer between a CB and a VHF?

The difference is what frequency they operate on. The cb operates on frequencies that are allocated to people that dont have a ham operators licence. VHF stands for very high frequency and you need a licence to legally operate them in the states.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
The difference is what frequency they operate on. The cb operates on frequencies that are allocated to people that dont have a ham operators licence. VHF stands for very high frequency and you need a licence to legally operate them in the states.

Gotcha, but how would someone go about gettting their Ham License

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is a dumb question but what is the differencer between a CB and a VHF?

channel 1 is (26.965 mhz) to channel 40 (27.405) ........this puts c.b. radio in the HF range (high frequency)

VHF, (Very high frequency) is the radio frequency range from 30 MHz to 300 MHz.

VHF is more typicaly used for ambulance, fire, police, commercial use, 6 & 2 metre ham radio, and so on.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CB stands for chicken band, just kidding.
I have an ICOM IC 207, no cb yet

KD7VGT

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
channel 1 is (26.965 mhz) to channel 40 (27.405) ........this puts c.b. radio in the HF range (high frequency)

VHF, (Very high frequency) is the radio frequency range from 30 MHz to 300 MHz.

VHF is more typicaly used for ambulance, fire, police, commercial use, 6 & 2 metre ham radio, and so on.

CB's are also AM radios. And unless you are flying an aircraft of some sort most VHF radios are FM.

Then there's UHF, or Ultra High Frequency, aka 70cm or 440 mhz. This is the band where you find the channels for the FRS radios. This band is used by police fire and ambulance. Also included in this band are the 800 and 900 mhz radios.

Andrew check out the practice test on QRZ.com and check for local ham clubs in your area you can find many of them by checking ARRL.com

Russ its kinda strange cookoo but i think i've made more ham contacts on the internet than on the radio waves. :dunno

KD5VSH

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah my son , KD7INF moved out and took all his equipment. I just have the handheld and mobile and just dont have time to practice and I need to.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
We run MURS on VHF around here. Its nice when skip is wall to wall on CB and you cant talk across the street. I have a Yaesu FT 2800M in the truck and a Motorola M1225 set up for the base.

VHF is an interesting band, Around here I have been able to talk 50 miles without a repeater. I have also talked out of state on VHF quite a few times due to tropospheric ducting.

73s KD8FAY

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I was searching Google for a galaxy 98 VHP for sale in my area and this thread popped up lol...small world.

It's been a while so I thought I might as well update y'all as to what I am running in the dump truck at work.

You must be registered for see images attach

You NEED over 450 horsepower when you got antennas like THAT on there.

K40 BC max antennas

Only one antenna is hooked up, the other is just cosmetic.

Palomar TX 5300 linear amp....300 watts TESTED!

My old side mic Uniden 78 LTW...unmodded and works like a CHAMP!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online