Radiators-1994 7.3 IDIT E40D

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
my old rad weighed almost 60 pounds from the build up an whatnot....that sucker was HEAVY!

I lucked out with a Champion rad that made it all the way here with no damage. That thing fit like a glove, cools pretty well and looks AWSOME!!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
my old rad weighed almost 60 pounds from the build up an whatnot....that sucker was HEAVY!

I lucked out with a Champion rad that made it all the way here with no damage. That thing fit like a glove, cools pretty well and looks AWSOME!!

i still have my old rad. i should weigh it and see how heavy it is. i should have wieghed my new allum rad before i put it in...........oh, wait i have another brand new alluminum rad that i could weigh.LOL

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the verdict on using SCA's with aluminum radiators? Some have said it will sludge up the coolant due to the disimilar metals.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the verdict on using SCA's with aluminum radiators? Some have said it will sludge up the coolant due to the disimilar metals.

It won't from sludge due to "dissimilar metals" It will sludge if you try to use regular anti-freeze with the SCA's. Why would you want to use regular anti-freeze? Because it has silicates in it which protect aluminum.

So option #1. Keep using the SCA's with the low silicate coolant, and everything will be like it was, but you will have no protection for your new aluminum radiator.

Option #2; Find a newer style coolant that gives cavitation protection AND aluminum protection. Aluminum radiators are nothing new, a lot of the newer diesel trucks have aluminum radiators, as well as Mercedes and other diesel vehicles.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I run NAPA Turbo Power HD diesel coolant with my alluminum rad. and once a year I dump about 10oz of motorcraft SCA in it to keep it up. No issues yet...knock on wood.

60/40 mix for coolant to distilled water.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much internet reading and searching is there any reason why regular, low silicate green coolant combined with Motorcraft VC-8 SCA's can't be used?
The label on my bottle of NAPA low silicate coolant states that it is compatible with ALL metals including Aluminum.

This is becoming much harder than it needs to be...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much internet reading and searching is there any reason why regular, low silicate green coolant combined with Motorcraft VC-8 SCA's can't be used?
The label on my bottle of NAPA low silicate coolant states that it is compatible with ALL metals including Aluminum.

This is becoming much harder than it needs to be...

It should be compatible. I just did that in mine so it better be.:)

1. Flush coolant
2. Put 4 gallons of coolant in.
3. Put 32 oz. of Ford VC-8 in
4. Top it off with distilled water
5. Check level of coolant weekly and add water as needed.(air will be working itself out so add water as permitted)

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally purchased an all aluminum replacement radiator. It is CU1165 from AutoZone. I count 15-16 fins per inch.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Wow that looks like a nice piece. You've got my interest sparked--Please report back when you put it to use ;Sweet

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed with it. The welds appear nicely done and the steel brackets are powdercoated with zinc plated hardware to resist corrosion. I'll be installing it tomorrow and it's first big test will be hauling both Toyota's in January.

Someone do a double check on the fin count for me...I get dizzy just looking at it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online