Radiators-1994 7.3 IDIT E40D

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short during a Moab trip the factory radiator started leaking from a pin hole caused by corrosion.

I thought finding a replacement radiator would be quite simple and was actually suprised that Moab didn't have one in stock at any of the 4 parts retailers.

I'm looking for a reliable radiator that is capable of cooling the IDIT. I cannot justify a Rodney Red and I'm a bit skeptical of the recent e-bay aluminum setup although it's beginning to look more tempting.
NAPA stocks the APD 2194 --Copper/Brass construction. $330

AutoZone stocks an Aluminum unit and a Copper/Brass unit. $305
AZ also has a LIFETIME warranty.

Ford: $800-$1,000

What has everyone's luck been having the radiator repaired? I've done this on the Toyota's but the Ford's cooling system is FAR more critcal to me than the rockcrawlers.

I like the copper/brass for corrosion resistance and it's durable enough to use as a perch when I'm working on the engine.

Are our radiators 3 or 4 core?

Where can I find the Fin Per Inch count? The part guys are no help and the websites don't list them.

I know this has been discussed but it seems everyone else found a different solution.

I will be doing upper/lower radiator hoses and a factory Ford water pump and thermostat. Anything else?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, this has been discussed a lot before, and there are several good solutions that work. Just pick what you think is best, and it will work. I liked the lighter weight of the aluminum, so that's what I chose. If you like the brass, then buy it. They both will work.

One thing I can tell you; I would not recommend repairing the old one, it's not worth it, they do wear out and get thin.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, this has been discussed a lot before, and there are several good solutions that work. Just pick what you think is best, and it will work. I liked the lighter weight of the aluminum, so that's what I chose. If you like the brass, then buy it. They both will work.

One thing I can tell you; I would not recommend repairing the old one, it's not worth it, they do wear out and get thin.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just think if it has a pin hole from corrosion your gonna have a hell of a time fixing it and then when you do get it fixed i would worry where and when the next pin hole from corrosion is gonna show its nasty side just my .02

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've got a champion eBay radiator in my 94. It cools very well. There packaging sucks but u can't beat the price for a quality product.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain the Rad's from Azone and Advance are the same as the OEM. They are the brass/copper made in Mexico by Visteon, which makes all Ford's radiators. I put one in my 90 four years ago, no problems, they were $285 then. Mine came from Radiators.com. Happened to be in Azone when the guy from there was making the rounds to the stores for demonstration of them about 4 years ago.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is so very true on several fronts. The champion is cost effective but the shipping damages really are an issue. The offer free shipping but if yours is ruined they want to charge you a return shipping fee for thier problem in packaging... Thats crazy right there and a terrible way to do business. Our engines have used a 3 and 4 row radiators. Generally the 3 row is a dimple core and it wont cool properly. The machine bumps into each tube so the coolant drops slowly thru the tubes. This is supposed to cool down the fluid because its staying in the tubes longer...:rotflmao:Whatever: Its got to be a brass 4 row or nothing. Now get a 4 row with a fin count of at least 15 fins per inch. 16 would be even better. A 12 or 13 will not cool it well enough. Tubes count is important to A 54 or 56 tube core will work fine.. The more the better in this area. This is for the brass only radiators. The very best aluminum radiator is the Rodney Red. I have this and severl others do also. They are the best by far. They are expensive but you get way more than you pay for. Its the last radiator you will need in the trucks. Nothing lasts forever as we are finding out. If cost is the usual factor then go with the Champion but do this first. Call and tell them about what we have been seeing about their very poor packaging. Surely if they want to make a sale they will tell you something that may or maynot be true. The shippers are the ones trying to do a job but if something is improperly packaged then its going to get damaged in transit. No amount of insurance will get your item sfaely to you either. My RR was packed so well it was terrible to remove from the box. The RR was not shipped in the chinaese yleeow cardboard box either. It was the thickest cardboard I have ever seen protecting that piece of art. BTW when you attempt to remove your original its going to be so heavy from all the buildup in it. You may need some help. The aliminum is such an easy install...:angel:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
SLC97SR5 from the sounds of it you may want to look into that Autozone rad again. The one the Logan AZ store pulled out for me had 12-13ish fins per inch and it was a 3 core and it looked really flimsy.

If what everyone else is saying they may be able to get you a better one like the stock unit which would be good ;Sweet Let me know if that is the case

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was exactly the info I was hoping for. Thanks all!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On the NAPA one, I would do some checking into it... When I worked at NAPA (This was a few years ago) the replacement radiators were Modine brand radiators. We have a Modine Dist. Center in town. I had to pick up several from there. Not sure if that is still the case.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ready-Rad Copper/Brass Radiator #432194
working good here.
you can buy online at advance auto and pickup or free ship.
lifetime warranty.
use promo code P20.
scrap your old rad,and your final cost should be around 200 bucks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm very partial to the rodney red radiators, but if one of those puppies just isn't in the cards, check in town to see who is selling Modine radiators. THey may not be the top notch cooling thing out there, but the quality of construction on their rads has always been good, and it will be something you can count on.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ready-Rad Copper/Brass Radiator #432194
working good here.
you can buy online at advance auto and pickup or free ship.
lifetime warranty.
use promo code P20.
scrap your old rad,and your final cost should be around 200 bucks.

That promo works nice!!!! $50 off $330. Total was around $305 with tax and shipping. You da man.:thumbsup:;Sweet