Radiator questions

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
as many know, I am also shoving a dt360 in my crew can. Yes it fits, yes it's tight. Which is where this idea came from. Both Jared and jon are running the stock tall narrow idi radiator. Jared ran for months without a fan. Which got me thinking. Use an all aluminum big block rad. I have the wide radiator in my truck which will make intercooling it hard. But if I ran a big block rad, I would gain a lot of room. Think it would keep a slightly turned up dt360 cool with electric fans on it?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that might work. aren't the Cummins radiators kind of small?

I haven't had good luck with e fans in the past. I would recommend some very high quality fans, and those are generally expensive. from my experience they would be worth the money. as I have done the opposite.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an abundance of Ford Taurus fans and one off a Lincoln towncar. Plan on using them with a custom shroud and a good controller

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you plan on taking this to the rally? thought you weren't going to be able to go anyway.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
The big block rad seems to have similar dimensions to a duramax rad.

If it does end up being undersized i bet you won't find out till you're pulling a big load.

Are you planning to work a condenser into the stack?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The great thing about diesels is that they make less heat the less power they output. So if the temps start getting toasty... give it less throttle!

...Of course, the only /problem/ with that is that more speed = more airflow = more cooling, so having good backup electric fans(or mechanical fan) is important for when you are crawling up a hill because you are overheating...

I do second the fact that you'd never notice a too-small radiator until you start hauling heavy, and even then, I bet it would require doing it during the summer for it to be a problem.

As far as using a big-block radiator? Try it!

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Condenser will be under the cab with dedicated fan. I will be running electric fans on the rad.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
The big block rad seems to have similar dimensions to a duramax rad.

If it does end up being undersized i bet you won't find out till you're pulling a big load.

Are you planning to work a condenser into the stack?
Odd you mention a dmax rad... I have one out back....

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it all aluminum or plastic tanks? I am planning all aluminum, that way I can move the lower outlet to the other side so I can have a simple hose