Quite possibly the dumbest thread I ever read

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do they get those yokels? I'm glad they are over there and not here...
If they do come over, we'll need a lineup of :backoff :backoff :backoff :backoff :backoff :backoff :backoff :backoff
to fend them off.

TimMiller

Reaction score
Just have to say it 6.9/7.3 Was never a gas burner. That was chevys bright idea to convert a gas engine into a diesel.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the thread on the other site:
The only thing the 7.3 has in common with a 460 is the transmission bolt pattern. I guess International had to cast the 7.3 block so Ford could bolt their transmission to it.
FWIW, if the PSD is anything like the IDI, there's an adapter plate that changes the bellhousing bolt pattern from IH's to what Ford wanted to use. The starter actually bolts to this adapter plate and not the bellhousing; that's why the starter can stay in place when you pull the tranny. That said, from everything I've heard, the diesel bellhousing pattern is NOT the same as the big-block g@$$er bolt pattern. IIRC, they're close, but one or two bolt holes won't line up. This isn't from personal experience, though...never dealt with a g@$ Ford...

TimMiller said:
Just have to say it 6.9/7.3 Was never a gas burner. That was chevys bright idea to convert a gas engine into a diesel.
Umm...I'm not so certain on that. There are claims out there that the 6.9l block was designed originally as a gas engine, then altered to run as a diesel (different crank, pistons, heads, conrods, etc). If you look at an IDI block, there is a plug where a distributor would have gone. But, if you've ever seen the bottom-end of an IH gas engine (304, 345, 392, etc)...it's as strong as most diesels out there :shocked: IH gas engines actually can live as long as many diesels...just, the fuel economy is absolutely horrible. :)

TimMiller

Reaction score
Really, thats interesting. I didn't know that. I didnt even know International made gas engines.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TimMiller said:
Really, thats interesting. I didn't know that. I didnt even know International made gas engines.
Travelalls, pickups and Scouts all had gasoline IH engines in them. Medium duty IH trucks had/have gasoline engines and millions of IH tractors rolled out of the plant with gasoline engines in the 30's,40's,50's and 60's.

We had an IH pickup with the 345 in it. And probably 5 or 6 gas IH tractors as well. M, SuperMTA,300,300 utiility, A.................. damn, I'm getting old. :rolleyes:

sassyrel

Reaction score
95--yes you are O L D !!!! :D :D i had a travelall with a 345 4 barrel in it--after i got done fixing the holley someone screwed up--it went like h--and would get just over 15 on the open road--- had brakes,steering,and air--and i sold it to a banker that wanted it for a pretty penny--showed him the list of all i did--he was happy---

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i wish i could find a old scout that was in decent shape to restore... all of them i run across have cancer out the *****... they are cool old trucks but have terrible rust problems

when i get done with my 78 bronco i want to redo either a old scout or a 2dr. fullize jeep cherokee chief

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
i wish i could find a old scout that was in decent shape to restore... all of them i run across have cancer out the *****... they are cool old trucks but have terrible rust problems
Amen to that! I loved my old '80 Scout II...that rig would go anywhere (except over a motorcycle jump :oops: ), but as my dad once put it, "if it weren't for the rust particles holding hands, the truck would have fallen apart LONG ago."

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scout memories...

My first two vehicles were Scouts, in 1966 and 1968, a '64 with a six gasser and a '66 with the 304. Never had engine problems but broke quite a few axles. Those were the days, lol.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Those scouts sure are fun. And they are overpriced.

I just got done parting one out here a while ago.