Quick trailer brake adjustment question

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out which way to turn the adjuster on my trailer brakes. Either up or down. All the literature I have read says "in the direction that expands the adjuster" Yeah great well thanks for stating the ####ing obvious you moron. Now since it's encased in a steel shell and I cannot see it is that up or down? Sorry for the rant.

I suppose it could be either way if the adjusters are put in opposite of each other. I just know that no amount of turning in either direction has made any difference at all. (and yes I am overworked, stressed and probably too impatient at the moment)

Any advice on how I can tell whether it's expanding or not?

Oh they're Dexter Brakes 7000lb axles.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well one wheel is one way and the other wheel is the opposite way. The best way is to jack the rear end of the truck off the ground and then adjust. That way you can feel if it is making a difference or not. There is a small spring catch on each of mine that is supposed to hold the position of the adjuster. If you can feel that thing grab a little you can sometimes tell you are turning the wrong direction. Once you do figure it out use a paint marker to draw a line in the correct direction and or write it down in your service records. Off the top of my head i would guess that the driverside rear you should push the teeth down with a screw driver or rotate the teeth clockwise when viewed from the back of the truck to tighten the brake.........if I am guessing right then the passenger side is the opposite with the screw driver but same rotation when looking from the back of the truck. Hope this hodge podge of info is not too confusing!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just spent some time on Dexters website looking at the replacement adjusters. They have a great website BTW. Anyhow from what I saw I would say the passenger side would go up and the drivers side down. Or clockwise viewed from the rear.

Diezel_Cowboy said this too (thanks) so I will have to make the attempt. Only now it's raining and I'll have to wait. Oh well give the Kroil some time to soak in.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got them all adjusted. Turns out they were identical from side to side under the truck in their adjustment procedure. What I mean is that from the perspective of the guy under the truck you didn't turn them one way on one side and the other way on the other side.

In my case I turned the adjuster wheel upwards. That means I pulled down on the screwdriver. I was able to see inside the adjustment hole with a light and determine which way to go. I even modified one of my sacrificial screwdrivers by heating it with a torch a bit and bending it about 20* an inch from the tip. Worked much better that way.

Then I pulled a drum off to check for pad wear as it took alot of adjustment and I was concerned that maybe the pads were worn out. Well they aren't new by any means but have probably 50% life left. At least this one. I'm not going to check all 4 right now. Grease in the hubs is still newish. The PO said they had been repacked recently. I guess he wasn't lying.:thumbsup:

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
I was going to suggest that you shine a flashlight in there..........I recall doing that myself before, but I assumed you old geezers wouldnt be able to see anything anyway!;Sweet LOL

Glad to hear you figured it out!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When did I acheive "geezer" status? Damn my wife was right. :confused: Oh well at least I have all my teeth and I can still squeeze under a truck pretty easily. I guess I better start shopping for a cane soon just in case.:D

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
When did I acheive "geezer" status? Damn my wife was right. :confused: Oh well at least I have all my teeth and I can still squeeze under a truck pretty easily. I guess I better start shopping for a cane soon just in case.:D

It is usually hard to tell age in the forums.........so i'm just making assumtions.;Sweet Anybody over 28 is a geezer right?:D

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dirtleg
When did I acheive "geezer" status? Damn my wife was right. Oh well at least I have all my teeth and I can still squeeze under a truck pretty easily. I guess I better start shopping for a cane soon just in case.

I'll have you know I represent that statement.

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll have you know I represent that statement.

Be careful. Be very careful. I'm right up there with Bill. There are more of us than you might imagine. Don't irritate us older guys. :backoff So, be very careful.:D

OTOH, geezer isn't such a bad name. I've been called worse. I've also been called better. One of the women at work calls me "lolo" (lets see who comes up with the translation). Its a pity that long ago we agreed that I wouldn't try to 'lolo' her. She is a good and a trusted friend.;Sweet

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Ken is that lolo -lala-or lola ?? :rotflmao :rotflmao I'm tryin to think what you would look like if you were a lala or if you were a Lola- Now as a LOLO i can envision that. I THINK anyway ;Sweet :hail
:yell: Lolo "where are U?"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online