Quick question

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my engine seized up does anyone out there knw the size for the center bolt on harmonic balancer? The biggest size socket I have is 7/8 and I want to see if I can turn it before I get to worked up. Thanks

Tell 'em Large Marge Sent Ya!!!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before trying this, pull allte glowplugs out to relieve the pressure.

That sounds about right, but i can verify when i get home.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. Its a 15/16 inch hex. Has it been raining where you park. If so rain water can leak past the cowl seal and drip on the top of the air filter cover. then it leaks past the center bolt that usually has the rubber washer missing. Did the engine start to crank. then stop and now it wont trun any. If so this scenario may be your only issue. Pulling the glow plugs and lightly tapping the starter will force the possible trapped water in a cylinder out the plug holes. Be careful because its coming out like a 22 caliber bullet. This might be your issue. Its hard to say with what you posted so far. Fluids will not compress like a gas will so the fluid has to go somewhere. It can bend a rod or break a piston or a cylinder liner but not to worry bout that just yet. You could have a bad connection to the starter too and its not getting power to spin it. Lots of maybes floating in this post.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I just found the size time to head to store.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully icanfixall nailed it. An hr of work then an oil change would make your day im sure. Whats the whole story anyway? Was it running and quit?

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She was having a hard time starting and then I heard something odd right before the starter went out. I'm probably being too paranoid it's just lately i haven't been havin the best of luck with vehicles. I didn't want to order the starter and find out the motor seized.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope.. Its a 15/16 inch hex. Has it been raining where you park. If so rain water can leak past the cowl seal and drip on the top of the air filter cover. then it leaks past the center bolt that usually has the rubber washer missing. Did the engine start to crank. then stop and now it wont trun any. If so this scenario may be your only issue. Pulling the glow plugs and lightly tapping the starter will force the possible trapped water in a cylinder out the plug holes. Be careful because its coming out like a 22 caliber bullet. This might be your issue. Its hard to say with what you posted so far. Fluids will not compress like a gas will so the fluid has to go somewhere. It can bend a rod or break a piston or a cylinder liner but not to worry bout that just yet. You could have a bad connection to the starter too and its not getting power to spin it. Lots of maybes floating in this post.
Ain't that the truth...years back my 'gutter' was all cracked and putting water on top of my air cleaner lid.
Removed the gutter, and with a well placed finger and silicone I fixed it up real nice ;Sweet

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope can't see it I'm bout 35 min from there. Thanks for the offer though. I'm sure the motor is fine just want to be sure. I'm goin to check it out first thing in da morning.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for the starter I figured I could see if I could fix the leak on the water separator bowl. A lot of people recommend warming the motor up before you take off fuel filter. Since I don't have a starter is it ok to mess with the leak?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad the engine is free and the starter is bad or at least things point that direction. If the cowl seal leaks and the top of the air filter cover collects water you can place a plastic trash bag over the filter can. then any water collecting on top will run off harmlessly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker