quick question about injectors

bluecollar

Reaction score
Replacing my old injectors and would like to know what I can look for to tell if they are bad. Got 4 out so far and 3 of them are real wet with diesel dripping off the spray area. I do see a good bit of carbon on them too. Just curious and appreciate yall's response.

Last edited:

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much were your injectors? Ford wants 42 dollars and a local trucking place wants 37 dollars. Hey be glad you dont have a new powerstroke $300 for 1 injector from ford:eek:

bluecollar

Reaction score
They ran me $162.50 plus tax. These are new and not reman injectors. Got them from Dieselcare because they are reasonable and the cheapest I could find here locally. Didn't want to risk rebuilt injectors but they run $129.00 there.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah what blue collar said. You can get new(not remanned) injectors from diesel care and a few other ebay vendors as well as several private sellers there. Go to ebay and type in "6.9 diesel" and you'll find several hits...always. You could also buy from Diesel Injection Service www.dieselpage.com or Midwest Fuel Injection www.mwfi.com or even www.accuratediesel.com All of these places will be less than $37/injector. I'd only buy one from Ford or a local shop if I was in a pinch as I have been a time or two. I bought some from a good diesel shop in Ocala where they were only a couple bucks more than the mail order shops, but if you find a place like that you'll be pretty lucky. And yes, pop testing is the only way to really determine good vs. bad IDI injectors. If you have a good truck shop nearby they should test them for free or very inexpensively.

SKimballC

Reaction score
BTW, Diesel Injection Service is now under new ownership. The Taylor Diesel Group bought them out. They have 6 or 7 shops in TN/MS/AR/TX, and from my limited dealings with the local one here in Memphis, they're good folks. The online store as it was under DIS is no more, though it looks like they are working on a new one.
Hey BlueCollar, you jerk:D , why didn't ya call me today? Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best brand

I am going to replace my inj. along with the pump.
I have a turbo pump.
But I need the inj. what is the best brand to get.
I called Ken 3-4 monts back and left a message.With no response.
I was going to go with his inj. and pump but he seems too busy.
Also has anyone gone to Turbo, pump and inj. and seem a real differance?:confused:
thanks
John

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Ken's turbo pump and stage 1 injectors. Well worth the money.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo Pump & inj.

I have Ken's turbo pump and stage 1 injectors. Well worth the money.
Mel,
Thats what I hear But the long wait and lack of comunication Scares Me:eek:
If I had heard a good story of semi quick turn around and good comunication.
I think I would go for it.
What is the best brand to get other than Kens?
Thanks
John

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you can get Ken's injectors which he calls stage 1s, all the others are about equal. The thing to remember is that new injectors will usually last longer than remans, remans are only as good as the remanufacturer, and any set, new, used or remanned, should be matched. Each manufacturer has a letter code for their injectors "A" "B" etc... In reality, a lot of people get in a pincha nd just replace one ruined injector and have a mix/match set which is not ideal. For example I have a set of "D" injectors from stanadyne and one remanned 'BB" from NAPA originally a Lucas branded injector. That having been said, its been in there going on 2 years, but then Ido have some rough idling and funky sounds. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything though so laziness prevails. Again, the correct way is a matched set and they will pretty much all perform alike with very slight differences. The only real noticeable difference would be to get a high altitude pump which would dereate your power, an IH application pump, which would decrease your redline, or a custom pump which might give you better power or a higher redline. If you want to get a hold of Ken, he's not too easy to reach, but the word is he does good work. I had him rebuild a turbo and it took some time for him to get around to it...but it looks like it was well done, we'll have to see when it gets bolted on. Some of these guys worship the ground he walks on, while others, especially on the other site treat him like a criminal and seem to be on a personal jihad to take him down. I have an intermediate position, I think he does good work for an economical price, especially on IDI stuff.... but don't expect a lot of easy communication...you gotta keep calling...9-11 am Michigan time is best, and most of the folks there don't know half of what he's got going. On the other hand, he's a diesel guy, small outfit who's doing what he loves.... which one of us wouldn't like to do that? With that disclaimer... if you still want Stage 1s call Ken @DPS
(269) 367-4171 For best results don't be in a hurry to have it happen and if youi can get him some cores ahead of time that's probably even better.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cores

Does anyone know if I send ken stock cores is that the best thing or do they have to be "G" 's?
Thanks
John

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will take any cores. G's are not a requirement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online