Question for TYP4

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Russ,
Would running dual turbo's of this specification be suitable for a 7.3?
Thank you for any light you could shed on this- I'm trying to spool early but not run out of boost at 2800... Thanks, Gus

JDM T3/T4 T04 Turbocharger
Stage-III Turbo
Oil Cooled Only
Standard T3 4 Bolt Inlet Flange, Designed to fit most Aftermarket Mainfolds and OEM T3 Manifolds.

5psi to 20 Psi Peak Power Performance Output Capability
Designed with a Standard 5 bolt T3 Flange
Includes internal wastegate port (optional for use)

Compressor Specs :
3" Compressor Inlet
2.130" Inducer
2.755" Major
2" Compressor Outlet
T04B/T4 Type Compressor Housing
Compressor .49 A.R.
Compressor .50 Trim
6 Blade Type T4 Compressor Wheel

Turbine Specs :
T3 Type Turbine flange
T3 5 bolt flange
Turbine .63 A.R.
2.205" Minor and 2.570" Major Propellar
T3 Turbine Housing
2.274" Outlet
12 Blade Type Turbine

Can modified to use external or internal wastegate.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc one of those wouldnt do too bad with some mods but 2 would have issues spooling
with the idi and parrellel turbo setup is almost pointless because the turbos will heat the intake air very quickly as being so small. also to make a twin setup work good for these trucks you would need to increase rpms a good bit just to make boost.
but you will need to size the turbos in singular to a 3.7l diesel which would be something off a old vw diesel would work with our rpms

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc one of those wouldnt do too bad with some mods but 2 would have issues spooling
with the idi and parrellel turbo setup is almost pointless because the turbos will heat the intake air very quickly as being so small. also to make a twin setup work good for these trucks you would need to increase rpms a good bit just to make boost.
but you will need to size the turbos in singular to a 3.7l diesel which would be something off a old vw diesel would work with our rpms

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know where you have been looking, I was actually thinking of trying it on an IH truck my buddy has. I think they might work pretty good with the 63 a/r. If it spooled to quick they could be changed to an .83.

Also the comp side is just a wee bit smaller than an .093

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score

Tom,
These things are little... The whole idea is to be able to spool each one with the exhaust from only one manifold, and keep both of them under the truck as close to the manifold as is practical. The engines they are usually used on are ~2 liter screamers. I'm not well versed in Turbo-Fu, so I had to look at the situation from a volumetric standpoint, as in: 2liter engine rpm/volumes = approx. 1/2 idi rpm engine/volume. Not very scientific I know, but it gets it in the ballpark.:D

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I know where you have been looking, I was actually thinking of trying it on an IH truck my buddy has. I think they might work pretty good with the 63 a/r. If it spooled to quick they could be changed to an .83.

Also the comp side is just a wee bit smaller than an .093

Russ,
Thank you- If you were thinking about trying it then I'm probably headed in the right direction. I don't know what the number/letter designations mean, but if it spooled too quickly am I correct in assuming that you would go up on the size of the exhaust side? (63 - 83) less reactive/slower reacting?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, now before use, those turbos need garrett bushings and rebalanced to last.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one's definitely caught my interest. I've always thought twin turbos bolted to some custom headers would just look *******', just not sure how efficient the setup would be. Bio farmer, are you thinking of just making adapters to bolt the turbos onto the stock manifolds and try to mount them down low?

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idk about two turbos might require akot of fab, and hard to plum an intercooler. I been keeping my eye on an aftermarket powerstroke turbo. has billet whells and upgraded housing for spooling quick, and upgraded wastegate. with this turbo it is designed around the same displacement and rpm. be easier to run an intercooler.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like a good challenge. IC piping would be somewhat of a nightmare; but if running without an IC, all of the plumbing would be relatively easy.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
piping wouldn't be all that much harder, just gotta be good at bending. one the two of them are y'd into eachother its just a standard IC at that point. I think fabbing the exhaust/turbo systems would be harder LOL

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be too bad.......I hand built the exhaust on my Harley; same concept X 4.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
This one's definitely caught my interest. I've always thought twin turbos bolted to some custom headers would just look *******', just not sure how efficient the setup would be. Bio farmer, are you thinking of just making adapters to bolt the turbos onto the stock manifolds and try to mount them down low?

Zackly... It's probably just me, but I think it's already hot enough under the hood without piping exhaust heat up to a heat storage device and then back down & out. Ideally I would like to have the turbos as close to the end of each stock manifold as possible. If I could find an IC that has a low port on one side and a high port on the other, well that would just be perfect.. Probably have to cut and re-MIG one in all likelihood though. I enjoy beauty as much as the next guy, but turbulence reduction and ease of routing dictate that all of the cold side stuff is going to be smooth wall flex tube of some sort so I can keep flow speeds high and limit elbows and clamps as much as possible. I'm keeping the hood scoops for the intake and keeping the stock air filter and housing, just sealing it up because that's where the water injection is already mounted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726