Question for TYP4

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think about the location of a stock turbo. Up high on the upper back of the heat generator (engine) with very little heat circulation. Mounting them on the sides of the motor - even up above the valve covers might just keep them cooler than a stock one.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Think about the location of a stock turbo. Up high on the upper back of the heat generator (engine) with very little heat circulation. Mounting them on the sides of the motor - even up above the valve covers might just keep them cooler than a stock one.

Mike,
I was actually thinking about keeping the hot side hotter- but just not under the hood.. Also, the underside location really appeals to my "Keep It Stupid Simple" approach to things I cobble together, knowing that at some point maintenance will be required.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only issue I'm seeing with mounting the turbos down low would be how to return the oil back to the engine. You could just weld some fittings into the oil pan, but that requires pulling the motor out of the truck.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Only issue I'm seeing with mounting the turbos down low would be how to return the oil back to the engine. You could just weld some fittings into the oil pan, but that requires pulling the motor out of the truck.

Right now my stock lift pump is doing nada, I foresee meaningful employment in its future... KISS, remember?:D

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
as far as the exhaust side of this would it be easy to fab up a y pipe like the n/a's have and run it on the passenger side but of course id run in into a set of stacks

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
as far as the exhaust side of this would it be easy to fab up a y pipe like the n/a's have and run it on the passenger side but of course id run in into a set of stacks

Yeah, I've been giving that some thought.. Use the leftover pipe from the stock exhaust and a couple elbows to fab a long V terminating in an adapter that mates with 5" aluminized steel exhaust tube, back to 5" 90 elbow & up through bed on passenger side to a single 5" black ceramic coated 48" Aussie cut stack.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the turbos will work alright. They would be a lil small for a 3.7L gas motor but I don't think that they will be to small for a 3.7L diesel. You gotta remember that we don't rev as high as gas engines so the turbos don't need to be quite as big for an engine the same size. Also, I don't think they will heat up the air bad on the cold side. Like Russ said, they are a little smaller than the 093 compressor but they are also doing half the work a single turbo would do. So I think that they would still be in their efficiency range. But definitely gotta check a compressor map for that info. ;Sweet

Last edited: