Question about fuel tanks

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Ok we all know on a big truck they have dual tanks that draw and return fuel into both tanks at the same time. the tank capacity on most of these trucks are about 150 u.s. gallonsin each tank.

Im curious has anyone tried to set up a truck like ours that has dual tanks that would draw and return fuel into both tanks at the same and if the individual did how well did it work if at all? Any comments would be nice. Thanks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the front tank sits lower than the rear tank. most semi's have tanks at the same height as each other.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I ever instal a flatbed, that what I'm going to do. I should be able to find a pair of 75 gallon tanks and I can keep the rear tank.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What towcat mentioned is true on our rigs so I'm thinking its not going to work.
Please see your pm's...

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it a few years ago. Used brass fittings (Home Depot). Came out from under the rear tank drivers side front and connected to the lower drivers side of the front tank. I put valves on both ends of the connecting hose in case I need to remove one of the tanks.

The pump pulls from the front tank (lower) and returns to the rear for a full loop. I can switch the lines if needed to drop a tank. It took awhile to get the correct fittings that would work. I dropped one tank at a time to modify them as it is my DD. Overall time was a couple of days as I used JB weld to securely adhere the fittings (inner nut/outer fitting, JB on all contact points). I later heard that JB may not hold up to Diesel, but after 3+ years, still no leaks. ;Sweet I also made sure all surfaces were free of anything that would contaminate the adhesion between surfaces.

I made sure the connecting hose was routed safely.

Here are some pictures:
You must be registered for see images attach

I did it as I didn't want to keep messing with the tank selector. I kept my tank selector as this allows me to check the fuel level in either tank. I just have the fuel bypassing it and the only thing hook to the selector valve is the connectors for the fuel level. I might hook up something else later, but it works good for now

Attachments

• 1015091131.jpg
    1015091131.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 38

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before fuel prices went up I used to fill both tanks at the same time.
Now I just fill one and bite that bullet, then get a little help from my wmo tank.
My trips aren't long enough to really have both tanks full, but still a good idea, if you do
drive long distances.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online