Question about a turbo.

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Hi, kinda new to the automotive diesels. I just recently picked up a 1984 F-250 with the 6.9 L idi. with a 4 speed tranny and 4x4. picked it up for 300 bucks. it runs and drives great, has like 248,400 miles on it. dosent burn oil or anything. the previous owner was the original owner and he said besides glow plugs the motor is bone stock never replaced the ip or injectors. i was wondering what i should or have to do to put a turbo on it. and if i have to buy a special kit, or if i could go to the local junkyard and pull a turbo off a powerstroke or somthing. any help is greatly aprreciated. thanks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
First off, with those miles, is to replace the injection pump and injectors, they are well overdue, get new injectors, not rebuilts and have them pop tested to make sure they are good( it has happened that some come bum out of the box)
This alone should wake it up

A power stroke turbo will not fit without major mods. If you can find an IDI in theh boneyard with a turbo and can grab it cheap and get the turbo rebuilt and pop it on, go for it, if not, grab a new hypermax turbo and smile all the way

You will need to get rid of the old stock exhaust which by now should be clogged with soot and willl not let a turbo do much. A 4" system with a straight through big truck muffler will do a very nice job ;Sweet

Welcome aboard

sootman73

Reaction score
Private Message TYP4 for injectors. he offers quality "BB" code injectors which is the the consensus here for the best code injectors through the years.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
There are enough turbo kits floating around on the used market so that you don't have to fabricate something.