pumping wmo

wmoguy

Reaction score
Ummm.... my thought was to use a compressor from Harbor Freight... not a vacuum pump only... the compressor makes vacuum if you pipe into the intake side, and pressure when you connect to the exit side.. both vacuum and pressure on the collection tank will pick up oil then evacuate the tank...
I have a little Harbor Freight compressor that is a 2 HP and I paid like $80 for it,,, on sale.
At that price,, if it breaks, throw it away and get a new one.

let me know how that works please. I'd be interested in doing that too provided it pumped the CFM's super quick

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WMOguy.... just jury rigged it to try it out since I have the main parts already. The "new" tank I want to use is a old water pressure tank that's 40 gallon. [originally had a rubber bladder in it that held the water and the top of the tank was pressurized with air,, it was "free" so perfect]

The pump on test: With the 2 HP Harbor Freight air compressor [it's used.. about 2 years old] it took 4 minutes to pull 20 inches of vacuum on the tank.. Didn't want to put oil in the tank yet cause I want to do some welding on it later so hooked the pickup hose [1 inch white pool pump pressure hose with a 1'' ball valve and a PVC stinger tube] into a barrel of water...

Result: Sucked 38 gallons of water in 2 min 8 sec. [stop watch] so that comes to 19 Gallons per minute flow rate... give or take.

The pump off test:.. Compressor was setting at 120 psi in the compressor tank... regulator set to 20 PSI at the oil tank... opened 3/8" ball valve at the oil tank to pressurize the tank... opened the 1'' ball valve on the stinger and the oil tank was empty before I could grab the stop watch... and hang on to the stinger... oops..

I am gonna have to call this test run a success.

Next step is to rig up a 1500 watt inverter into the truck battery system and plug in the compressor [it's 110 volt and my math says 1500 watts will run it]... if that works.. I can put the truck on high idle... run the compressor [or vacuum pump side] and have a totally mobile collection rig.. for not much $$$...

"Simple is always better"

wmoguy

Reaction score
Sweet G Mann!!!

Make sure everythings sealed up tight. There are a lot of guys w/ super suckers seeing 55 gallon drums of oil empty'd into their vessel in under a minute. But frankly 38 gallons pumped in 2 mins I most definetely wouldn't complain about!

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Through a soda straw.. if you use a 1 inch hose like I have you should do wayyyy more than that. On my test run I filled the 40 gallon tank with water in 2 minutes, just stopped a little short at 38 gallons. If the tank was 60 gallons I don't think it would have taken that much longer with a head of vacuum.

Remember though, with this system your limit is how big a tank you have a vacuum drawn on before you open the pickup hose valve.. and you HAVE to close off the intake to the compressor/vacuum pump once you have drawn down a vacuum on the tank, otherwise you will suck oil into the compressor... and that would not be good.

After playing with the jury rigging a little more I see that I need to put a Y fitting and two 3/8th ball valves in the intake of compressor. That way I can close the intake from the compressor filter and make it take air out of the tank by opening the valve to the tank..... then close that one and open the filtered air intake to the compressor so don't have to shut down the compressor...

That way, can do one run and have a head of pressure in the compressor tank ready to pressurize the tank to unload it into my holding barrel. That way, I can fill several 55 gallon barrels with oil if there is that much to collect without being on site a long time...

Get in,,, get-R-done.... get out... don't make a mess.... get invited back... The 4 gets of waste oil collection. ha

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decent information on cleaning WMO

http://www.refuelz.com/

Found this site and it's worth a look. The guy gives a load of information on just what we are all talking about.

If you poke around the site you will find pics of a vacuum collection trailer that uses exactly the system I've been describing. Pic is worth a thousand words.
;Sweet

There is also a centrifuge for sale and a manual for that centrifuge [23 pages] download and read the manual cause it's got loads of info on oil, both WMO and WVO... as well as clear information on what, how and why you need to clean it.

http://stephenchastain.com/book9.htm

This link will take you to his book and you will find the vacuum collection trailer rig pic in the opening blurb. :thumbsup:

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pump vs vacume http://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/icons/la pump,pump ,pump.

working with 55 gal drums its better and cost effective to use any 2-5 gpm pump than have to mess with compressors & vacume pumps in my opinonhttphttp://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/icons/laught22.gif://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/icons/laught22.gif

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Wow, really glad I caught up on this thread. I am going to build a super sucker/blower.

The only thing I was worried about with the super sucker getting the oil back out in a timely manner, but if you just use your air compressor to blow it back out... perfect. I will probably need to lift the oil about 12 ft when I empty the super sucker, that will not be an issues at all using air pressure! I can even force it through a filter on its way up!

PZ

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using 20 ft of pickup hose with a PVC 90 degree elbow and a 5 ft stinger with no problems. I have it in two 10 ft sections joined with cam lock connections to make it easier to handle.

Longer hose full of oil gets heavy so you will need to pay attention to how you connect it and lay it out but the distance shouldn't make any trouble.

Worth notice:.. if you have any water in the oil a gear pump will emulsify the water / oil and it will be very hard to get out.... with vacuum system.. it doesn't happen. Worth the difference to me on that point alone.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little fyi for the guy's using a pump. I was having a little trouble from time to time priming really thick oil to my pump. I use a 3/4"x36" pvc stinger on the end over a 15'x3/4 hose. I was in Atwoods (a farm supply store) the other day and spied a pvc well foot with multiple tread sizes for under $15. problem solved, I just shut down before that last couple of inches.

j2005

Reaction score
WMOguy.... just jury rigged it to try it out since I have the main parts already. The "new" tank I want to use is a old water pressure tank that's 40 gallon. [originally had a rubber bladder in it that held the water and the top of the tank was pressurized with air,, it was "free" so perfect]

The pump on test: With the 2 HP Harbor Freight air compressor [it's used.. about 2 years old] it took 4 minutes to pull 20 inches of vacuum on the tank.. Didn't want to put oil in the tank yet cause I want to do some welding on it later so hooked the pickup hose [1 inch white pool pump pressure hose with a 1'' ball valve and a PVC stinger tube] into a barrel of water...

Result: Sucked 38 gallons of water in 2 min 8 sec. [stop watch] so that comes to 19 Gallons per minute flow rate... give or take.

The pump off test:.. Compressor was setting at 120 psi in the compressor tank... regulator set to 20 PSI at the oil tank... opened 3/8" ball valve at the oil tank to pressurize the tank... opened the 1'' ball valve on the stinger and the oil tank was empty before I could grab the stop watch... and hang on to the stinger... oops..

I am gonna have to call this test run a success.

Next step is to rig up a 1500 watt inverter into the truck battery system and plug in the compressor [it's 110 volt and my math says 1500 watts will run it]... if that works.. I can put the truck on high idle... run the compressor [or vacuum pump side] and have a totally mobile collection rig.. for not much $$$...

"Simple is always better"

keep in mind that there is a surge on those electrical motors that would probably blow the inverter. once its going though it would be fine with the 1500watt inverter.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
So I have the pump assembled and am figuring up how Im going to mount the pump and motor and I got to thinking about the pullies and how to size them.

Does the chevy oil pump rotate at engine speed or is it on a reduction. in other words how fast can I spin this pump and expect it to last the washer motor im getting is supposed to be around 1600 rpms and I was thinking of putting 2x pulley multiplication on it making the pump spin 3200 rpms. will it last should I try to keep it slower or could I get faster, i am only using 1/2 in hose because thats already bigger than the 3/8 npt outlets I got on the pumps what do yall think

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
A small block oil pump is driven by the cam if I am not mistaken. That means that it spins at half RPM.

I would look at trying to spin it 2.5k, but thats just me. The cost on the pump is pretty low, if you have to replace it after a few thousand gallons its not really a big deal.

PZ

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
A small block oil pump is driven by the cam if I am not mistaken. That means that it spins at half RPM.

I would look at trying to spin it 2.5k, but thats just me. The cost on the pump is pretty low, if you have to replace it after a few thousand gallons its not really a big deal.

PZ

rsr911

Reaction score
I run my SBC pump kits with Harbor Freight Honda clone engines, at wide open throttle (3600rpm) they cavitate a little but they are fine at just off full throttle. I can get up to 16-18 gpm depending upon hose size and length using the HV pump. I got over 20 the other day pumping out some old HHO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin