Pulling the Motor

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may need the oil pan for the replacement motor. :dunno

Bean

Reaction score
Head will be fine, lifter parts are from the rod slingin around and busting out the block around the lifters. I bet there isnt a mark on the head. The bent pr is from valave contact after the rod broke but valve should be fine, thats why the pr bent.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
I don't give a crap about the block, I got a 3 & 5yr old that play around in the garage near my stuff despite numerous beatings & being told to stay away. I can't have it fall or roll over on one of them. Plus I'm a fat ******* & I ain't sitting on the damn floor to work on this POS.

build a box around it out of a 2x6... keep it from tipping over...

as far as sitting on the floor... do what I do... sit on a bucket

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's ready to just drop on the floor then. :puke: That bent push rod made me think about your motor Joe. His imploded lifter makes me think something hung the valve up in an open state, causing the push rod to drop towards the fulcrum. This expanded the lifter, and when the piston came up and forced the valve closed, the push rod impacted the rocker arm and lifter, and cracked the piston. The parts scattering thusly.

Last edited:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
well, my question is what causesthat to happen & how can I be sure it doesn't happen again.

What does a lifter sound like when it's going bad....?

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
well, my question is what causesthat to happen & how can I be sure it doesn't happen again.

What does a lifter sound like when it's going bad....?

we're guessing based on the looks of the carnage
you use quality parts and cross your fingers.
or consult The Orb Of Knowledge
You must be registered for see images attach

pafixitman

Reaction score
This is not based on much...just my $.02

I think 2 things can happen; a lifter can fail, or a valve keeper (or what ever the hell holds them in place). I also think that lifter failure is more related to an issue where the push rod "moves" and results in a failed lifter. Loose rocker arm or just worn rocker / lifter would cause that.

In my case I think a rocker was loose, caused the push rod to "bounce" on the lifter which caused failure in the retainer on the lifter which caused the lifter to "explode" which forced the push rod up and held the valve open. Then along came Mr. Piston and kissed Ms. Valve. In my case Mr. Piston overpowered Ms. Valve and caused the pushrod to bend and get out from under the rocker and show his face to the outside world.

In your case the pushrod could not get out from under the rocker and the piston probably cracked which held it up in the cylinder which then caused the connecting rod to fail after the crank jammed all of the pieces into the head. The remaining part of the connecting rod is connected to the crank then just beat the hell out of the block and oil pan.

As for the sound? Think chain bouncing off the road...at least that is the best way to describe my noise.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Unbelievable

:mad: This has nothing to do with this thread, but as if I didn't have enough problems right now, I just took out 2 tires on my Pete & am typing this from the side of I-85.

That makes a total of 8 tires, 2 hoods, 1 alternator, 2 serpentine belts, & a Powerstroke block in 1.5 weeks. I am broke. I might be out of business by monday & can't even drive to job interviews.:puke:

I don't know who I pissed off upstairs but somebody really doesn't like me.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why the hate for the 6.0

buy that *****, ill delete all the emissions **** on that, will run larger injectors and a ball bearing waste gated turbo and all these slow 7.3 boys will want to be you:backoff ;Sweet :angel:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Nah, I'm gonna stick with what was in it & rebuild it as strong as I can afford too & keep it.

I had planned to have the heads off today but had more big truck problems which slowed me down by about 7 hrs today. But I will get the heads off tomorrow & snap pictures & ask for opinions because I won't know what I'm looking at.

If the heads are ok, here's what I'm thinking:

* Short block with forged rods
* Heads checked & cleaned up (Is porting & polish worth while?)
* ARP studs
* Regulated return line kit
* 6.0 Tranny cooler upgrade
* Spearco or Banks intercooler for towing
* Maybe upgrade to a BB Turbo (if there's any money left)
* '05 front end (buddy owns a body shop & has most of the stuff)

I guess my goal is to end up with a rock solid towing motor. Any other suggestions to acheive that?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hear ya, I had a retired couple in the shop yesterday - called for a service call at 2pm. Their foot brake was sticking and dragging the brakes until they were smoking....Had to go on a service call to assess the situation, brought the massive motorhome (freightshaker chassis) back to the shop and pulled the front wheels. We thought maybe the brake shoe anchor pins were getting siezed....Didn't find anything wrong in there but we did find his treadle valve sticking - ******* carpet all around it, holding moisture and making the aluminum pedal/pivot corrode...No warranty on that service call but he was happy to get it fixed late in the day on a Saturday - especially considering we were closed at 4pm - it was now 5pm and I had tickets for the Atlantic CAT 250 Pro-Allstar race at 6pm...LOL...Repairs come in clumps, no worries as your due for a trouble free stretch.;Sweet

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Nah, I'm gonna stick with what was in it & rebuild it as strong as I can afford too & keep it.

I had planned to have the heads off today but had more big truck problems which slowed me down by about 7 hrs today. But I will get the heads off tomorrow & snap pictures & ask for opinions because I won't know what I'm looking at.

If the heads are ok, here's what I'm thinking:

* Short block with forged rods
* Heads checked & cleaned up (Is porting & polish worth while?)
* ARP studs
* Regulated return line kit
* 6.0 Tranny cooler upgrade
* Spearco or Banks intercooler for towing
* Maybe upgrade to a BB Turbo (if there's any money left)
* '05 front end (buddy owns a body shop & has most of the stuff)

I guess my goal is to end up with a rock solid towing motor. Any other suggestions to acheive that?

:Thumbs Up You have a good plan of attack.:peelout