Pulling the Motor

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
We'll see about the front end thing. Gotta make it run first. Got the heads off. I don't know how to tell if they are bad or good. I don't see anything that looks to be cracked or broken. I'm going to take them to a machine shop tomorrow. What should I ask to have done? Do I need to do anything to the heads before I take them in? Here's some pictures. Don't know how the glow plug got bent but it was like that when it came out of the #1 cylinder. Anyone see anything else?

Attachments

• engine rebuild pictures 001.jpg
    engine rebuild pictures 001.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 16
  • engine rebuild pictures 003.jpg
    engine rebuild pictures 003.jpg
    708 KB · Views: 25
  • engine rebuild pictures 004.jpg
    engine rebuild pictures 004.jpg
    730.8 KB · Views: 20
  • engine rebuild pictures 005.jpg
    engine rebuild pictures 005.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 22
  • engine rebuild pictures 006.jpg
    engine rebuild pictures 006.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 25

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those heads look incredibly good considering what took place in there. Take it to a machine shop and tell them what happened. They should at a minimum take all the valves out, check each piece over real good and check the heads for cracks. Reassemble with new springs, seals and keepers. The rocker arms are suspect.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Mag them, pressure test them and go from there. If they get the all clear go with new seals and atleast replace the valves/springs that had bent pushrods even if they look ok.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOLY SHEET Scott, I go away for a week and come back to read this after just losing a water pump and nearly the radiator on the way home from Michigan thinking I had a bad week.

Gimme a call if you need advice, a shoulder to cry on or whatever. I'm almost always here.

Mike

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I talked to Ryan @ Bean's today & he's gonna build me a short block w/ forged rods & I'm gonna get the heads checked out. After talking with him for a while, some of the upgrades I was going to make turned out to be a waste of money. Intercooler - no need to upgrade, EGT's are fine, ARP Studs - wouldn't hurt but new bolts will hold fine with a stock turbo & stage 1's, Ball Bearing turbo - too much money & would lag the bottom end. I think I will go to the bigger exhaust housing though. So the only thing I'll be adding is the regulated return line kit. Ryan also suggested using Comp 9/10 springs for the valves when I have the rebuild done on the heads. So that will leave some money to replace a few things than got messed up during removal & some stuff that was on it's way out anyway. And maybe an 05 front end.:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, do you own a Micrometer style 1/2" drive torque wrench? If so, send it off to http://teamtorque.com today, so it is freshly calibrated for the reassemble. If you don't, let me know, and I'll send mine off.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I have an "el-cheapo" 1/2 torque wrench & was planning on purchasing a quality wrench for reassembly. Like a Snap-on or Matco. My wrench doesn't do inch/pounds & in reading the Chilton's manual< I saw some things that are torqued back down in inch/pounds so I guess I need one of them too. Will a new wrench be calibrated out of the box?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. The problem is from sitting. The more they sit, the more the calibration goes stale. However, I would definitely get one. Teamtorque will send you a calibrated loaner while you wait for yours, so you'll have one that's right on either way.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an "el-cheapo" 1/2 torque wrench & was planning on purchasing a quality wrench for reassembly. Like a Snap-on or Matco. My wrench doesn't do inch/pounds & in reading the Chilton's manual< I saw some things that are torqued back down in inch/pounds so I guess I need one of them too. Will a new wrench be calibrated out of the box?

Yep need one for inch pounds for the injectors, valve covers, rear oil seal retainer bolts and other parts I can't remember.

Definatly get them calibrated, it really bites to finish an engine only to :puke: a head gasket or other critical seal after only 10 minutes of run time.....Don't ask me how I know:***: -cuss;Pissed :frustrate :idiot: :cry:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, I'm here at Stoner Wade showing these pictures to Bob. He wants to know if there was any chance the truck downshifted into 3rd when you went to pass whoever. Trans failure mode is to drop back to 3rd.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
No. The problem is from sitting. The more they sit, the more the calibration goes stale. However, I would definitely get one. Teamtorque will send you a calibrated loaner while you wait for yours, so you'll have one that's right on either way.

Another problem is a lot of people don't zero the wrench out when they are done.:eek: Nothing worse than pulling the wrench out of it's case to find it set at the last reading.:mad:

Allways set the wrench to zero before putting it away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online