Pulled first significant load with the IDI today

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First good load of wood since the turbo on the highway. Highest boost was 3psi at 70-75mph and 710*F EGT. Doesn't make too much black smoke either. I probably have more room to play, but I'm going to wait to see what I have when I have a bit heavier load and see where I am then.

suv7734

Reaction score
JD,

Please post some of your truck info so we can see what you are working with. I know I've read some of it over time but I can't remember trans, diff ratio etc. I re-did my exhaust a while ago and am just getting some figures together to go with the baseline I had before. With mine today on the freeway I was at 70 MPH, flat (or close to it) 3-4 PSI, no smoke and showing about 300-350* empty @ 26-2700 RPM. Since the exhaust change (went from Banks system w/muffler to 4" from downpipe back over axle with no muffler) and no changes to anything else the boost difference I am seeing is amazing and the temps have gone down. I have only done a bit of towing so that is the reason I am still working on the numbers.

Bruce

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is mine wierd at 5 psi and 650 degrees at 65mph? I can make 14psi without much effort. I'm also running a 7.3 pump on my turbo'd 6.9 as well though.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well one thing is that you have a lot higher RPM at 65 than I do with your 4.10s. Are you sure you don't have a "special" 7.3 pump? For those interested, mine is 6.9 diesel 2wd C6(for a little while longer) and a 3" exhaust with a cherry bomb muffler. I have a 4" pipe that I will put in over the holidays but I need to save up and get a 4" mandrel bend tailpipe before I can do it. I can get the NAPA version for $52.00 but its been low on the totem pole of priorities.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the O/D. Don't know what the difference is then...but i wouldn't complain about it for sure!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big question, is were you impressed? Do you like it? No smoke probably means lack of fuel and maybe retarded timing. Your boost will come up with the smoke when you get the fuel put to it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, I'll say it is much more fun to drive now than in N/A form. It can keep up with the gassers and newer diesels better and I can maintain 70mph without straining the motor. Seems like the boost should be higher, but I really haven't loaded it too much yet. This was the biggest load and that was 1/2 cord of firewood and some scrap metal maybe 1000lbs or so in the bed. When I have a full cord and/or my 20' boat and trailer I may know better how much it may boost. I have gotten it closer to 4-6PSI empty close to the governor, but I can't get away with testing at 80-85mph much since this place is crawling with police. What do you guys think the most I could expect from a stock pump is?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
When I had the C6, pulling a 10k lb. trailer I would see 12-14 psi, 950*, and no smoke anytime my foot was more then half way down. Now with the ZF the smoke rolls until there is 5psi, and I don't really make that boost until 1700 rpms. So I would say that you have plenty of room to play. I still make 14psi, but only when I wind it out. The auto let the rpms be higher all the time and so more airflow. Something to think about when you swap for the manual.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Jake, I'm after more fuel efficiency plus I just like the manual better...plus with the T19 my RPMs will still be high relative to a ZF. Now Dan says he has the same boost #s you speak of with a C6 but the auxillary O/D. I don't know, but something must not be quite right. Don't really know what it is.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Do you know what your egt's were before turbo install? The way I look at it is: If egt's are low and boost is low then more fuel can be added. This assumes timing is correct. I limit my fuel because I don't want to exceed 14 psi, and so I only get to 950*. I installed a ZF for the od, gained 4.5 mpg to average 17mpg. Plus I like a manual too. I didn't like that I couldn't use the bottom end torque with the auto and take things slow.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Your not having enough fuel put to that motor....... Undo the two bolts and turn it up about 1/2 3/4 a turn and try er again. and change your fuel filter. ( i dunno but i must be getting junk fuel cause i cant keep a clean one on there) but still turn that fuel screw up. Take the little side cover off and get a mirror and a light and slowly turn the motor over until you can see the allen screw (5/32) and turn that baby up. Is your turbo waste gated or non wastegated. I have a waste gated turbo and i make 5 psi at 2000 if i stomp it and 9 at 2300 stomped

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828