Pulled first significant load with the IDI today

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should definitely change my fuel filter, at least the inline one... it begins to look like someone lost their lunch in it again....just a bit of glycerin and emulsion...not as bad as it looks but still could be causing a restriction. Timing needs to be checked. I have the lumy probe and MT254 lumy inductive adapter, just need to borrow an adjustable strobe light or visit a shop that has one. I may be a bit retarded. My turbo is ATS 088 non gated version. I can't believe Jake and Dan are getting 14psi out of this setup. All I can say is you all must have a LOT more fuel than I do being injected. Maybe I need another flat or two on the fuel screw. Also my 3 inch exhaust has a few non mandrel bends in it...and I still have yet to install my hypermax cold air intake. I guess I might also have a boost leak, but I don't know where it might be. I don't know what the EGT was before the turbo install. I bet they were hotter than they are now. My previous pump builder said he usually mildly turned up pumps before sending them out, and of course that stock air intake and no turbo means a lot less air.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running an unknown internals 7.3 pump, Exhaust wrapped fully up to the turbo, 8.5 degrees timing, 3 inch exhaust with muffler (for now), KnN air filter in stock ATS filter housing. My EGT probe is mounted in the 90 degree elbow of the drivers side exhaust manifold. It is super smooth and has a nice turbo whistle to it when spooled up. It idles between 200 and 300 degrees. Turbo lag does not seem to be an issue. I have another probe in the inlet side up by the turbo in the port that ATS provides, but haven't hooked a guage up there yet. I haven't pulled anything substantial yet, just the occasional car trailer and/or dolley. It will pull the same numbers in direct drive or over drive. I actually drive it in OD most of the time. It will hit 14 psi going up a steep hill if I let it. Cold air intake, intercooler, and muffler removal are in the works.

I just sold the turbo donor van with new head gaskets and the pump that came with the turbo. It was louder, ran good, but absolutley was night and day different from my turbo'd van. I'll never go back.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then...something must not be quite right. I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be,,,maybe just need more fuel or be happy with what I've got.