PSD lift pump assembly

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been seeing these around a bit. Used on powerstrokes from 99 to 03.

Could be a good alternative to a facet lift pump? Guessing it has much higher potential fuel delivery.

Can find the entire assembly used all day long. Has connectors, frame mounted isolated bracket, and it looks like the same fuel fittings that we used.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used them before on other psd trucks. They are very high quality and last a long time. To use it on an idi you would need a bypass style regulator to cut the pressure down though. On a psd they run 65psi which is way too high for an idi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's way high. Figure bypass flow would be substantial with a setup up like that. Too bad. Such a nice setup.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's way high. Figure bypass flow would be substantial with a setup up like that. Too bad. Such a nice setup.

Yeah, a good bypass regulator would work great for keeping pressures in check.

@79jasper do you happen to know the micron rating on the 6.0 HFCM filter off the top of your head? I know the 6.0s used a secondary filter as well but was just curious if the primary filter would be sufficient standing alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
@79jasper do you happen to know the micron rating on the 6.0 HFCM filter off the top of your head? I know the 6.0s used a secondary filter as well but was just curious if the primary filter would be sufficient standing alone.

The primary in the HFCM from the frame rail is 10 Micron. The Secondary up on the engine is 4 Micron.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah the OEM psd pumps have been seen lasting 10,000hrs, 400,000miles. Which has me impressed. Will see if the aftermarket ones last half that.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is high bypass flow a problem? Put in a good filter and polish the fuel.

At first thought a high amount of bypass might mean that the pump would start heating up the fuel in the tank after a while of running. But then after thinking a bit more, 7.3s and 6.0s get in the same neighborhood of fuel economy so that means they use approximately equivalent amounts of fuel to do equivalent amounts of work. So, wouldn't the 6.0 pump in a 6.0 environment bypass approximately the same amount of fuel back to the tank as if the pump was used in a 7.3 IDI IDIT or DIT? Just because the HEUI needs higher initial pressure to fill the injector doesn't mean that it's putting more volume into a cylinder under similar loading as an IDI so the rest of the volume still has to go back to the tank. OBS PSD Single Shots are 95cc injectors, aren't the stock IDI pumps about similar? Aren't the hopped up idi pumps making around 120-135CC? The stock PSD Split Shot injectors are 130-140cc. So to me the PSD fuel system might work out fine for these old trucks especially if they are cheap and reliable. Figuring out how to tie in the return might be the stumbling block as that much volume pushed into the existing return might raise the return pressure enough to flood the IP or cause problems up there.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Figuring out how to tie in the return might be the stumbling block as that much volume pushed into the existing return might raise the return pressure enough to flood the IP or cause problems up there.

That is why you would run a dedicated return line from the regulator.
A couple here have done it. I don't recall their names.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m running a GSL392 in a couple trucks, it’s basically an upgraded version of the 7.3 psd pump and is commonly used in their application. It requires a high flow bypass regulator and a dedicated return so to not pressurize the return system connected to the ip. It works great and is extremely quiet. One of my customers is running two with the db4 I built.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dedicated return runs to the suction side of the pump, so you can run with either tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online