PSA: Change your caliper pins

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those two pieces of metel bonded together with a little bit of rubber that hold your caliper on, yea replace those. I "inspected" them the last time I did a brake job, and had one disappear on the ride home yesterday.

Fortunately I was less than a mile from the house so I limped it home before the caliper had a chance to lathe my wheel in half. They are $2 per side from rockauto right now, don't think about it, just change em' out.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you install them correctly also. I found this out accidentally when I installed one, and then did the other and it sort of snapped in or found a home. That's when I realized the little offset in one side of the pin is made to surround the caliper bracket and snaps over the bracket. You can put them in wrong, and it might contribute to them wanting to come out.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Also make sure you squeeze the head before you drive it out - you can wear the tabs down by just pounding them out.

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good advice fellas, I like the permatex ultra caliper grease myself, nice and tacky.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They definantly have a top and bottom side to them so make sure you test fit them with the caliber off the rig. You then can easily see the right and wrong way.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have loose brackets and they rattle in about 10k miles, so Uhaul had some on ebay and I bough 40 of them cheap, now I and a few friends have plenty . LOL

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I had a caliper fall off due to re-using the pins after I lifted my truck. I was running 20" wheels...luckily I was just about to pull out of the driveway at work when the caliper blew apart after I hit the pedal. Never again will I ignore the little things....