Proper Fuel filter layout?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, happy new year!

I have a carrier pump, been running good since installation a few years ago. yesterday I go to start the truck up and she is idling funny, like being starved of diesel - high rev then struggle high rev struggle. I'm sure you have heard it if you ever ran low on fuel.

I popped the hood and saw the carrier screen covered in crap that was reddish, I'm assuming this is a mixture of rust and lord only knows. I know diesel fuel is hygroscopic, so I am guessing as the seasons changed water got absorbed. I have been on this tank of fuel since summer without any issue (Haven't taken the truck out past town in the last few months).

Anyway, I installed a Napa gold 3123 water separator / fuel filter originally, but I unhooked it later on to run from carrier to factory filter. My factory fuel filter setup does not have a water separator on it, the prior owner removed whatever these 87-91 trucks had, thus the reason I added the napa gold filter in the first place.

Should I route the fuel system:
fuel tanks - water separator - carrier - stock filter - IP

or

Fuel tanks - water separator - carrier - IP

Or some other combination? I am sure the carrier could probably prime that filter, but is it necessary to have a filter after it too or can I skip the stock filter entirely? These carriers do not have much PSI to begin with :dunno

Thanks and sorry if this topic has been done before, didn't find any information

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's algae. 90% sure.

Adding pictures to this post, let me know if they give you guys trouble

You must be registered for see images attach

Whatever that crap is, I did my best to clean it off. I hooked up the filters in this order - fuel tank - napa 3123 - carrier pump - stock filter. Ran great, much better than with the clogged filter screen. Took a minute or two to prime up but after that it was good to go. Took off when I had a full cup on the carrier, returned and it was half filled but that seems to be the norm anyway. Got her up to around 70 :thumbsup::angel: and 7 psi then quickly let off when I realized

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
I run my Carrier pump first in line, feeding into a GoldenRon filter/water separator, and then into the stock filter. The Carrier pump filter screen is 80 microns, if I recall correctly. It will catch the really gross stuff. The GoldenRod has a finer filter. Both the Carrier pump and the GoldenRob are mounted on the frame rail.

Algae can be a real *****. You'll get lots of answers/opinions on that one. I have a jug of BioBor which I use every now and again.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is, it didn't get past the carrier filter screen. I held a magnet up to it and it didn't care - looks and smells like crap and is slimy. So I'm assuming it is "algae". Guess I will have to start dumping biocides in there. Maybe toss some silver in the tank since it naturally kills crap

Thanks for the input. always was interested in those goldenrods but never found them yet.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water trap is best right after the tank. Keeps water out of your lines, pump, filters.
Just put it as close to the tank as convenient. If you DO have algae, get the
additive to clean it up or, better yet, drain the tank(s) into drums, clean up the tanks,
and let it settle out before you use it again. Then mix it with fresh diesel or kerosene.
(Cold weather mix)
We used to have a LOT of problems in Lousiana (spelling intentional) with contaminated
#2, especially in the winter. Finally started to bring our own from home every trip.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this subject is being covered in another thread as well. It would be great to see some pictures of the different fuel filter configurations you all are talking about. Seems to be the only way to really wrap my head around it. Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly that is alge and will be really hard to rid your tank of it. Killing it only sends the dead stuff to the filter where it plugs it up. And btw this did get past that carrier filter and is in the injection pump by now. Best suggestion is kill it and buy some of the least expensive fuel filters. you will be changing plenty of them but on the good side. Once it has been killed it probably wont come back. Sorry for the not so good information. Those are some great pics too.:thumbsup:

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See my previous post.
Drain tanks and let it settle out if you want to use the fuel again.
Treat it and filter it well before you try to burn it.
Run clean diesel and ATF or 2-stroke oil plus the algae treatment
thru the system from a small container. Let it sit for a while to
work. Then flush with clean #2.
It sometimes took 2 or 3 flushes to clean up some bad cases.