Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what tires Wes is running but they do seem to be sticky enough to induced wheel hop
:peelout
All of the tracks that I've been at for a "test and tune" night have been set up so that you can pay admission as a spectator or a racer. If you are running, you just get on line and wait for your turn. How many runs you make is determined by the number of racers. Again, just my experience, you're allowed to work on the vehicle while you're in the que. They also offer priority to professionals and local champs. If you've haven't been to a test and tune night, find one and go watch (or run). It's a rip! Everything from squared away racers to ricers who couldn't find their own ass with both hands, two assistantsand a flashlight.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All terrains 265/75/r16 @45 psi was what I was running that night, I had some 285s on it previously but they wore poorly because I really need wider wheels to accommodate anything more than 265, so I traded them out with these 265s from another truck.

It was just test and tune, so $20 buy in and $10 to spectate. Imo, it’s the best entertainment you can buy for the money, there’s not much I like more than racing.

Don’t need to go fast to be having fun either, when my truck was pretty much stock and na, I entered a reaction time showdown where all you were racing for was the best reaction time, et doesn’t matter. It was setup like bracket racing and I went home with $450 and a .006 reaction time, paid for the stereo I have in the truck now.

I didn’t mention this but I’ve got some videos of the truck running, unsure of the quality yet since I haven’t seen them myself, but I’ll try to get something uploaded for y’all. I ran against some other diesels that night, beat a 2nd gen dodge, tuned lb7 duramax, and a e99 7.3 psd, so although the time wasn’t what I was looking for it felt good running an idi with some of the diesels that would normally leave it behind.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's pretty snappy! A .006 reaction time doesn't suck!

Spectating at a TnT night is a great time. Watching the incompetent can be more fun than watching the pros, you just need to remember to be compassionate if you have any interactions. Everybody's got to start somewhere. For more great fun, try being a spectator at the local boat ramp on a windy Saturday summer morning:joker:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
... For more great fun, try being a spectator at the local boat ramp on a windy Saturday summer morning:joker:

We owned a boat for decades. There is no better entertainment that a boat ramp.....

Many seemed to have the same luck in backing down a ramp to launch/retrieve as pushing a rope up a hill. I think for some a rope would hvae been easier. I have made fun of it since I saw the first advertisement, but 15 minutes at a boat ramp, explains Ford's trailer backing assist in the half tons. Dad's 16 has it, and them only think that it's been used for in his truck is point out it's there and laugh....

One that really stick in my mind was the couple trying to retrieve their fishing boat. He was in the boat, she was driving the car, a bandit style T/A or Firechicken (this was in the late 80's). The firechicken would not idle in gear, and she seemed to be insistent on the fact it had to be in gear to back down the ramp. So start, reverse, die, start, reverse, die.... 4 or 5 times. Finally she got pissed, got it started, left it in neutral and let the car roll (gravity) backward down the ramp. The ramp was maybe 75 feet long and when she got close to the bottom with the car, trailer was already in the water, she shoved the transmission in PARK!!! That was an interesting sound, and the biggest surprise was the car actually stopped where it needed to be.......

My other favorite was people watching me...... I've lost count of the times of hearing "You"ll never get that trailer in that spot". You know the one that is just big enough to back straight in.... I got good at backing a trailer, by backing up a 4x8 flatbed for our tractors.... so a 20+ foot long boat trailer is a breeze..... so I don't need the entire width of the ramp to back down.

My last story, again was someone watching me. We were at our small lake, close to my parents house. We had the "big boat" at that time, which was a 23' SeaRay (tongue to out-drive was pushing 30', being towed with Dad's 94 E-350 Conversion van. So the entire unit was almost 50' bumper to out-drive. This was a small 2 lane ramp, that was at the bottom of a hill, so the road to the ramp came down the hill, there was a maybe 30' cutout in the hill for a turn around, and the ramp right behind it, which was maybe 30' to the water. So there is no way I can pull inot the turn around, and back down like you should. I heard a couple old guys on the dock with the "You'll never get that in there" line and started watching. So I started back up the road away from the ramp, and heard a laugh and "See, I knew he couldn't get that launched" because the thought I was going back to the lot. Nope, got the trailer tires even with the side of the ramp, started backing, cut the wheel, and down the ramp and the boat into the water, first try. Dad idled out, and I parked the van/trailer. When I go to the dock to get on the boat, both old guys told me good job and said most people would have never gotten that rig in the water. There were actually impressed.....

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy mother of big pump..

Is that thing even gonna fit between the valve covers???

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening project, replacing the intake manifold and making my own oil drain to replace the pedestal. Tired of fighting that thing to line up with the intake to seal the boost in and the oil from leaking everywhere.
You must be registered for see images attach

Took the intake manifold free, then used the extra space by moving it under the injector lines to get to all the nuts on the back of the pump and pulled the lines completely off, so I don’t have to go through the ip r&r for the fifth time. May even do an oil change

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well been driving the truck and enjoying it, but a customer of mine needs an 093 turbo and keeps blowing up used ones with one of my big pumps. So, gtx3582r is ordered and should be here tomorrow. I’m going to put the new turbo on the shop truck and drive the truck a couple hours away to drop off the factory turbo for my customer. The new turbo is a Garrett clone, and Chinese manufactured. I have my doubts on the durability, but a close friend is running two of these turbos on an ls3 making over 809 for many years, so I’m willing to try it.

In other news, the big pump is back and made some very impressive numbers, 135cc peak fueling @ 1400 rpms (150* fuel temp to replicate heat soak) and carries that all the way to 3500 rpms where it starts to drop below 100cc, but still makes 84cc @ 4300 rpms. This is still with a stage three leaf spring and all db2 components so no expensive db4 hybrid parts, but I think more fuel could still be had with a leaf spring delete block and washer.

With room temperature fuel this pump made 160cc of fuel peak, so I’m working on a fuel cooler system to help alleviate the heat soak from the engine heat, but running this pump on the test stand it was getting quite hot even without the heater on, so I’m thinking a fuel cooler may be a requirement with this output level on a db2. Time and testing will tell.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo is here and looks pretty good, spins much nicer than any freshly rebuilt 093 I’ve installed but has a bit of pitting in the casting of the compressor housing, nothing on the internal just exterior so not a concern.

Here’s a line up of a 093 on the left, the gtx3582 in the middle, and my t4 s366 on the right.

Here’s the specs for this turbo:

Specification:
Compressor wheel: 61.4mm/82mm
Compressor Housing: 0.7 A/R Anti-Surge, 4" Inlet, 2.5" Outlet

Turbine wheel: 68mm/62.3mm
Turbine housing: T3 Inlet, 3” V-Band outlet, A/R 0.63

Gonna fab up a kit for it this week and see how it goes from there, I think it’s gonna be near impossible to make it work with the ats intake hat, so I may build an intercooler kit and do all of it at the same time.

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s an awesome build buddy! I’m very interested in the 3208 pump. At diesel school, an instructor put a turbo 3208 in his 79f150. He bagged it and set it up as a trophy truck. It pulled hard when you laid into it. I’d love to get a 3208 pump on my idi!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing project hopscotch here but had a half an hour to brainstorm on the turbo upgrade, I set the gtx35 on a spare up pipe I had and it’s definitely not gonna work there

So I scabbed together some pieces of stock exhaust to give me an idea where I want things to sit, I’ve got a couple ideas for an ideal location but this worked the best for doing compound setup

Here’s about where I want the atmosphere charger to sit.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put together a little video late last night of some of the adjustments I’ve been playing with on the stock db2, I’d really like to break 250 at the wheels with the stock pump and I think with some work I can make it happen, may have to pull these injectors out and work them over to get some more fuel but more on that later.

The main adjustment I’ve made in this video is the minimaxx screw which is located at the rear of the pump, on my larger pumps I’ve had a smaller lock nut machined to give me more adjustment, but it seems to have worked well just as it is on this pump. It seemed to pick up a good bit of top end fueling but I checked my timing today and noticed it is now 3* retarded after this adjustment, I have since readjusted and the truck is running even better than in the video. But for now, enjoy my poor editing and filming skills:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media