Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooler showed up today, once my reel of -6 braided line gets here with the rest of the fittings I’ll get it installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the fittings and braided line showed up, I ordered -10 on a couple fittings when I meant to order -6, so going to have to wait a bit for those to come in before the fuel cooler gets done.

Actually did a bit of maintenance on the truck today, you know what they say about the mechanic’s personal vehicle... I think this speaks for itself.

Installed ebc yellow pads, got them bed in and man what an improvement. The stoptech pads were alright, but these are something else.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First steps into getting the truck looking like a truck again... stripped it down to the core support to replace the plastic headlight support piece with a new dorman replacement.

Cleaned up the core support while I had everything off

I go through about a bottle of this stuff a week, works great as a soft degreaser that’s safe for paint and aluminum.

Now everything back together, I replaced my stock bumper with a late obs bumper with the cutouts that I had on a parts truck.

Installed my custom face plate on the injection pump, did some tuning on the adjustment and got my timing where I wanted, I’ve got 4* at idle, and 8* at 2000 rpms, and took it for a drive to see how this first prototype faceplate came out.

Wow is all I can say. The truck has so much more top end, and pulls hard all the way to 4 grand. 1000-1800 is set good but I think I want to add more timing between 1800-2500 because it feels a little soft there. All in all egts are down 100* and boost comes in 300 rpms sooner, I’m pretty happy for the first run.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost two months without an update, haven’t done a ton to the truck just wish I had more time to mess with it but haven’t lately. I did recently put on a set of new rear tires (fronts were fine...) a/t 285/75/16 fit nicely and come out around a 33” tire, which with the 3.55s makes it a highway machine.
have you noticed a big performance jump with the intercooler? The shop trucks who did fairly well without one! For the install it looks like you just used straight pipe and silicone elbows, is that correct?

Put on one of my intercooler kits, had orders for three so went ahead and made a fourth for this truck. Here’s how it came out

Made a good difference, I opted for the cheapest eBay 33x12.5x3” I could find, and it going to swap it out for a mishimoto I have and make a back to back comparison. Will be interesting to see if it makes a difference at this power level.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three straight pieces, then a couple 90s and 45s

Didn’t really make a performance difference because I already was using all the fuel I had, lost a little down low in responsiveness but gained more up top where the turbo is working hard and putting out a lot of heat.

You will see a performance gain with an intercooler where you are egt limited on your fueling adjustments and the lower intake temps allow you to add more fuel.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
very nice, i have given thought to pulling out my stock OBS Ford intercooler and trying a smaller one like you have. they "claim" the added efficiency will make up for the size. i am thinking the added airflow over the condenser and radiator would be an improvement. do you know if these intercoolers can match the Ford OBS ones?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very nice, i have given thought to pulling out my stock OBS Ford intercooler and trying a smaller one like you have. they "claim" the added efficiency will make up for the size. i am thinking the added airflow over the condenser and radiator would be an improvement. do you know if these intercoolers can match the Ford OBS ones?
Thanks, I think it would be worth a try, I’m sure the design work has come a long ways since the 90s when the obs was made. If you wanna try it I can send you this one I have on now once I go to the mishimoto, if you like it you can buy it, if not just cover the shipping.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Thanks, I think it would be worth a try, I’m sure the design work has come a long ways since the 90s when the obs was made. If you wanna try it I can send you this one I have on now once I go to the mishimoto, if you like it you can buy it, if not just cover the shipping.

thanks, that is a generous offer! i might take you up on that, i don't want to derail the thread but i have not been overly happy with my turbo upgrade and i am starting to suspect a possible intercooler problem. i have just not had the time to give it much attention. i can PM you

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks, that is a generous offer! i might take you up on that, i don't want to derail the thread but i have not been overly happy with my turbo upgrade and i am starting to suspect a possible intercooler problem. i have just not had the time to give it much attention. i can PM you
No worries, shoot me a pm when you get a chance.

In other news, I did get the fuel cooler mounted when I was finishing up the other day. Should have all the fittings and hardware I need this week.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
curious what is the main purpose for a fuel cooler per.say, can it be used on a n/a for any benefit or are they strickly for turbo motors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin