Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Running a Cat 3208 pump crossed my mind a while back, but lacking the ability and facilities to do all the fabrication put it out of my reach. I think fabricating a new gear housing/pump mount is the way to go. Especially if you can adapt the existing timing gear.

Fabbing up an intake manifold shouldn't be too bad. Besides, the old one is broken. ;PokeLOL

You're also going to need a bigger turbo for all that air to burn all that fuel.

I'm really looking forward to this build now. :popcorn

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know it was something you had to have a core for.
Wasn't sure if you could just buy one or not, without looking. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
You can, but I prefer for customers to buy a core themselves but I can always have a drop in pump made, it would just be 300-500 more since I would be paying for the core to rebuild.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running a Cat 3208 pump crossed my mind a while back, but lacking the ability and facilities to do all the fabrication put it out of my reach. I think fabricating a new gear housing/pump mount is the way to go. Especially if you can adapt the existing timing gear.

Fabbing up an intake manifold shouldn't be too bad. Besides, the old one is broken. ;PokeLOL

You're also going to need a bigger turbo for all that air to burn all that fuel.

I'm really looking forward to this build now. :popcorn
Yep that intake is broken so time for forced upgrades right? Getting more air in won’t be an issue, I’ve got the s366 I could run as a single if I wanted to go crazy, but I like a more responsive setup than that. I wouldn’t mind setting this up with a stock style turbo to show how I can turn the pump down to a mild 200-250 horsepower, then turn a screw and drop some more turbo on and make double that. But we’ll see how the order of things go, I may upgrade the turbo before then.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
People have been talking about the 3208 pump forever, but as far as I know nobody has attempted it. Make sure you add some supports on the end opposite of the gear, that thing weighs a lot.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have been talking about the 3208 pump forever, but as far as I know nobody has attempted it. Make sure you add some supports on the end opposite of the gear, that thing weighs a lot.
The rear mount is a must on this pump, and it acts as the return for the pump as well, so that will be something that is built into the intake manifold

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to our local car meet and cruise last night, had a good time and truck ran great. Really want to get this thing on the strip and compare it to my na numbers. Testing in “Mexico” the truck will trap 89 mph in the same distance the hopped up na motor would do 62, our local track is closing in the coming weeks so I’ll see if I can make it happen.

Talking to a couple friends who own speed shops and trying to find a dyno the truck will fit on, I’d like to have time to do an A-B test with the stock turbo and a bolt on upgrade while on the dyno, but I will probably have to come back another time.

Finished my first 1000 miles on the new engine last night, so gave the governor rod 5 turns which should set me up at around 3800 rpms where I’ll be shifting. Should be much better

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well couple few runaways later and it seems this pump with the experimental work we’ve done on it is not very forgiving with governor assembly adjustments. Just another step in working all the kinks out of a product, pump will be coming off and getting some more work done for more fuel, but I’ll be swapping on a spare stock pump on for the time being.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly.

Got the new to the truck pump on, this is now the third pump in 1000 miles that’s been on this engine, runs good but miss the extra fuel for sure

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the leaking factory turbo oil feed with -4 braided line, first step towards the turbo upgrade, just waiting on some fittings to make my oil drain and delete the bulky cast piece.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just need to pick up a 1/8” npt to 1/4” npt adapter to use my oil pressure switch inline

Looking at a T3 gtx35-82r as the bolt on upgrade.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious as i'm a diesel noob. What is the power potential of one of these cat pumps transplanted onto a turboed idi?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious as i'm a diesel noob. What is the power potential of one of these cat pumps transplanted onto a turboed idi?

Ok but seriously...

A few guys have managed to push these engines to the point that the limiting factor becomes the fuel system. Even with a HEAVILY modded pump they were running out of fuel. Not only does this pump have the capability to push more fuel, from what Wes has said it sounds like it is more tunable as to WHEN you get the fuel. In other words you can keep fuel dialed back for less smoke at low rpms but add more at higher rpms when the turbo will be spooled up to burn it.

Sound about right @Thewespaul ?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen this pump used in a few 12-1300 hp pulling rigs, so it will deliver more fuel than these engines will probably ever handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online